[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 27-October 3, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 27-October 3, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as  specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 960, Sept 30 at 0503-0505 UT during local KGWA Fox-hole, I am getting something clearer by shooting thru the open carrier than nulling it, with volume turned way up --- discussion in English of the Calgary Flames and other silly puckgame teams. Therefore CFAC Calgary, Alberta is not employing its 50 kW nighttime pattern which is cardioidish with deep null USward, but non-direxional daytime pattern. I`ve heard it a few times before this way, but normally no sign of it. I see in NRC AM Log 2013 it is now affiliated with ESPN --- is there a Canadian network version, or was I necessarily hearing a local origination segment? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I have serious doubts whether CFAC has used night pattern at all this century. Always trivially easy here on west antennas in decent fall/winter cx. KAZ (Neil Kazaross, IL/WI, ABDX via DXLD)

=========================

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Sept 29 at 1202 UT, WKY goes seamlessly from Spanish to English for La Indomable`s `Sunday Morning Magazine`, pretending to be pubaffs instead of infomercial, in fact an episode I had heard a few weeks ago, with guest from Paragon Fine Homes, about tornado safety. Around 1225 second guest is promoting a kennel (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, Sept 27 at 1228 UT, KOKP Perry with more problems: local morning talkshow out of Stillwater is burping, audio cutting off and on at the rate of about 144 times a minute = 2.4 times per second. Also seems weaker than it should be, making KMMQ Spanish Omaha market easier to hear in null. // 1580 KOKB Blackwell has no such problem (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Sept 29 at 1223 UT, KOKP Perry is *still* very out of order; no one at Triple Play Sports notices or cares? Modulation cutting on and off at rate of approx. 130 times per minute; with BFO I can tell this is also affecting the carrier, altho it does not go off completely (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, Sept 30 at 1236 UT, KOKP Perry is *still* having severe problems, modulation cutting out every few seconds, and unusually weak, allowing easy null for Spanish music, presumed KMMQ in Nebraska. 1259 recheck it`s much stronger, making it easy to see on the DX-398 meter that the signal drops drastically along with the modulation but does not cut out completely. Now averaging once per second, but irregularly.

Apparently KOKP is diligently switching from night to day facilities, powering up from 250 to 400 watts, and two different patterns, the broader day one normally putting a semi-local signal into Enid? Not exactly; official sunrise in Sept was already 1215 UT; October 1230. Its PSRA calls for 28 watts in September, no more due to KDKA until 10 watts in March. But if it can run 250 watts all night, why should it have a much lower PSRA??

As usual, sibling station 1580 KOKB Blackwell has no such problem (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Oct 1 at 1217 UT, KOKP Perry is *still* breaking up severely, unlistenable for at least the fifth day in a row (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Oct 1 at 2000 UT, KOKP Perry has *finally* been fixed to keep modulating without hiccuping for the past pentaday, Fox Sports ID, 2003 George Carlin`s football vs baseball routine, a real classic and surely the best thing ever broadcast by Triple Play Sports Radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. Hello Glenn, Is it true that your 1640 agro/farm station is switching to oldies on Monday? Best wishes and 73's (Barry  :-) Davies, Carlisle UK, Sept 28, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Hi Barry, News to me; where did you hear that? Would not be surprised. This afternoon it`s football, Saturday afternoons being prime time for college football, but I think they were doing that anyway (Glenn to Barry via DXLD)

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/dxmidamerica/FormatFlips.html
(Barry, DXLD) Viz.:

1640 WKSH WI Sussex Silent pending sale by Disney as of 9-29
1680 KRJO*LA Monroe OLD C&W "Country Legends 1680", dropping OLD R&B 9-27
1640 KOAG*OK Enid 2b OLD "True" starting Mon 9-3o 9-27
(FormatFlips via DXLD)

Trouble with F.F. is that sources aren`t stated. Also note the 1680 entry which I have already reported, but DXMA misses its interim format for a sesquiyear or so, News/Talk/Business. * means outside the DXMA prime interest area.

As for 1640 Enid, the All-Ag format (originating with 250/7 watt KFLP 900 Floydada TX), will have lasted only half a sesquiyear; and its logo I availablized will become a collectors` item:
http://www.w4uvh.net/koag.jpg

Local radio gets zero coverage in the local press. I`ve looked around the Champlin Broadcasting and Chisholm Trail Broadcasting websites and find nothing about it. But have been monitoring 1640 more than usual:

Sat Sept 28 around 1910 and still at 2215 UT, some college football game. UT Sunday Sept 29 at 0040, sales job opening promo from Champlin Broadcasting jointly ``KOAG and KZLS True Oldies``, back to All-Ag news for now. Apparently 1640 will be on the True Oldies satfeed, like KZLS 99.7 Mustang/OKC has been for quite a while now, so does that mean 99.7 will also be flipping to something else, or duplicated? TO is also on KLIO 1070 Wichita audible here. Sunday morning circa 1230 UT it`s still Ag for one more day? I suppose call change will also be made ASAP, as our 1640 X-bander has yet to find an identity that worx. Meanwhile, next January`s ag expo in Enid will again be sponsored by KNID, not KOAG (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Sept 30 at 1239 UT, KOAG Enid is still All-Ag with market report, constant humbuzz on carrier. Maybe will flip later today to True Oldies as rumored? 1607 UT, still ``the Farm Station, all-ag, all-day``. [See also USA: 1070 KLIO Wichita, just flipped from True Oldies to ESPN Deportes!](gh)

** OKLAHOMA. David Yocis says the FCC CDBS shows 1640 changing from KOAG to KZLS so the new format stays with the previous call. Most of the day Monday Sept 30, 1640 was still ``The Farm Station, All-Ag`` but there`s music at 0027 UT Tuesday October 1. 0028 ``True Oldies Channel`` slogan, ``Hotel California``. Listening on a noisy receiver, too close to the computer, the signal suddenly weakens at 0030, which is not the correct time to cut from 10 to 1 kW, Sept LSS being 0045 UT (to be 0000 in October; LSR 1215 in Sept, 1230 in Oct) (finally straightened out these times from previous posts).

Richard N Allen, near Perry OK, heard a KZLS legal ID on 1640 but as Hennessey-OKC, instead of Enid-OKC, Hennessey being the closest town to the transmitter site, so are they really abandoning Enid as City of License? X-band 1640, of course, was originally supposed to *replace* KCRC 1390, which never happened. Richard also heard promos still referring to 99.7, the ex-True Oldies sibling, which is now Hank FM, KNAH (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1689, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Since news arrived that 1640 KOAG Enid would soon as of  Sept 30 flip to True Oldies, which has been on its sibling station 99.7 KZLS Mustang, I monitor the latter Sept 29 at 2246 UT, and find it has already flipped to: ``Country Legends 99.7, Hank FM``. Altho did not hear legal ID; on the caradio have to be careful not to confuse it with the CCI from Wichita.

(1680 KRJO Monroe LA also just flipped to Country Legends, but no Hank; tried // but music was not the same). From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

``Branding: HANK FM
Slogan: Plays Everything Country
First air date: March 25th, 2005
Format: Country music & Classic Country
Owner: Envision Radio Networks
Website: http://hankfmradio.com

Hank FM is the on-air brand name of several radio stations in the United States and Canada. Stations using the Hank FM brand name typically air a country music & Classic Country format, and promote themselves as less strictly formatted than other country music stations, airing both new country and classic country music. They generally use the slogan (He) Plays Everything Country on their country music "Hank FM" branded radio stations or "Plays Country Legends" on their Classic Country "Hank FM" radio stations.

The format was conceived and is owned by Howard Kroeger - creator of the BOB FM format. Kroeger also provides the voice for HANK. The name may be inspired by legendary country musician Hank Williams. However, one station currently branded as Hank FM is not consistent with the format of the other stations, using the brand name for an adult hits format more similar to the Jack or Bob formats.

Hank FM stations
    Kalispell, Montana - KHNK
    Glen Rose, Texas   - KTFW-FM
    Savannah, Georgia  - WGCO
See also Hank FM stations in North America
    KHNK (Kalispell, MT)
    KTFW (Glen Rose, TX)
    WANK* (Tallahasse [sic], FL)
    WLHK (Indianapolis, IN)``

Ha, now it`s falling into place, as another of Champlin`s properties, KQOB 96.9, hijacked from Enid halfway to OKC market, has been ``Bob`` for several years. Wiki hasn`t yet caught up with OK developments, so how about the WTFDA FM database, searching merely on Hank, finding several others:

KTFW-FM  92.1 GLEN ROSE TX       HANK FM               CLASSIC COUNTRY
KOME-FM  95.3 MERIDIAN TX        92.1 HANK FM EVERYTHING COUNTRY
KHNK     95.9 COLUMBIA FALLS MT  95.9 HANK FM          COUNTRY
WLXO     96.1 STAMPING GROUND KY HANK 96.1             CLASSIC COUNTRY
WLHK     97.1 SHELBYVILLE IN     HANK FM               COUNTRY
WGCO     98.3 MIDWAY GA          HANK FM               CLASSIC COUNTRY
WANK     99.9 LAFAYETTE FL       99.9 HANK FM          ADULT HITS
CJHK-FM 100.7 BRIDGEWATER NS     HANK FM               COUNTRY
WDVH-FM 101.7 TRENTON FL         101.7 HANK FM         CLASSIC COUNTRY
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

99.7, Sept 30 at 1602 UT finally catch legal ID from the new ``Hank FM``, ex-True Oldies: ``We`re proud to be KNAH, Mustang-Oklahoma City`` --- ha ha, that`s HANK spelt backwards --- so new it`s still not in FCC FM Query, unassigned, with 99.7 Mustang still coming up as KZLS (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1689, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Oct 1 at 1900 UT, legal TOH ID for FCC Facility 87168, as ``KZLS, Hennessey-Oklahoma City``, no mention of Enid since it flipped yesterday from KOAG All-Ag to True Oldies, ex-99.7 FM Mustang. FCC website is allegedly out of service thanks to a minority of anti-government Republican wackos who axually got elected into the government thru the stupidity of too many Americans.

But FCC AM Query is still working and I don`t think I am looking at a cache, tho I have gone to the 87168 page before. It still shows *ENID* as the *only* city of license, and has made the call switch from KOAG to KZLS. It seems Mr Champlin is all too eager to divorce himself from his Enid roots with yet another station edging away from us.

But then, when I click on the call sign changes link,
http://www.fcc.gov/shutdown-page.html?Facility_id=87168&Callsign=KZLS
I do get an out of service redirect: ``We regret the disruption, but during the Federal Government-wide shutdown, the FCC is limited to performing duties that are immediately necessary for the safety of life or the protection of property. FCC online systems will not be available until further notice.``

Anyhow, we now enjoy having a local quality signal for a while on True Oldies, especially since we have lost it on FM from OKC and AM from Wichita. And fortunately, the buzz constantly accompanying All-Ag has also been removed (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1689, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=====================

** U S A. Noted on the caradio while in a hot-spot, relatively lo-noise mall parking lot in the western side of Enid, on daytime groundwave:

850, Oct 1 at 2002 UT, two very weak signals with slow SAH, one in English = KOA Denver at the extreme edge of its range, and one in Spanish = KJON Carrollton (Metroplex) TX (hijacked from Anadarko OK).

1270, Oct 1 at 2005 UT, two stations with very slow SAH, one in Spanish = KRVT Claremore (Tulsa) OK, one in English = KSCB Liberal KS. Ads after the news include for local business, and then for homes mentioning Liberal, Kansas, removing any doubt, another one at the extreme edge of its 5 kW ND groundwave just across from the OK panhandle near Guymon (tho KGYN 1210 is always in with twice the power ND). Then into a talkshow which is anything but Liberal.

1610, Oct 1 at 2008 UT, hum from the abandoned but still powered-up TIS at Great Salt Plains State Park, NW of Enid. It becomes much more audible on the road just north of Enid (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 860, Sept 30 at 1229 UT, another regular polka from KKOW Pittsburg KS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 870, Sept 27 at 1222 UT, XETAR in Chihuahua which earlier has the channel to itself, now suffers from other Spanish CCI, from further north/west making SAH of about 5 Hz; 1224 ID as ``870, La ----?, Univisión América, Las Vegas`` with norteña. This is really KLSQ, COL Whitney, Nevada, 5000/430 watts. Its FCC September sunrise is not until 1315 (Oct: 1345 UT), so should have been on 430 watt night power direxional rather than 5 kW day power non-direxional. No PSRA is in the FCC correspondence folder. Night pattern throws a huge lobe to the NW, with three bitty lobes to the SSW, SE and E:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/666479-79198.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, Sept 29 at 0502 UT during local KGWA Fox-Hole, in its open-carrier null I am mainly hearing blues music, announcement mentions ``Mississippi Delta`` and a celebrity(?) urges ``listen to this station`` which is no doubt WABG Greenwood. Haven`t heard it in quite a while during this window; propagational, or dependent on slipping into day power and pattern? New NRC Pattern Book shows ND day, a minor lobe this way at nite (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Sept 30 at 1237 UT, wow, it`s really flip-day all around. True Oldies contracts must be expiring, as KLIO Wichita is suddenly in Spanish sports! Discussing Manchester United and other British SBG teams. Could not believe my ears at first, but it`s certainly the KLIO groundwave signal from that direxion, usual fast SAH when nulled with remnant KNX (KLIO being the one off-frequency). 1241 still fútbol talk, and numerous program promos never mentioning the station/network, but including multiple timezones from Eastern to Pacific, so it`s not from México. Altho also discusses Liga MX game schedule; 1245 text jingle repeating 643-776 over and over, the same as EVR(?), whatever that means. 1246 program promo finally mentions in passing ESPN Deportes Radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Sept 30 [not 23 as in original report] at 2300 UT, since KLIO Wichita has unexpectedly flipped from True Oldies Channel to ESPN Deportes, have they also changed callsign, like 99.7 OKC from KZLS to KNAH? No, heard legal ID switched to English, altho with a Spanish accent, still KLIO. And so a once heritage station, KFDI has come to this, like WKY in Oklahoma City (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1689, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, Sept 27 at 1212 UT mentions an address in Wray, 6:12 TC, morning show, plays ``Can`t Help Falling in Love with You`` but with a (reggae?) beat. Blasted away by Spanish at *1215, as KTNO The Metroplex TX goes to 50 kW day pattern. I had been listening to:
KRDZ Wray CO, 5000/212 watts U1, but with a PSRA of up to 500 watts from Sept thru April, unneeded in summer. It`s in northeast CO right next to NE and KS, a tri-state area (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Sept 27 at 0118 UT, KRJO Monroe LA has a fast SAH similar to what I heard around sunrise, and a bit of other audio when I null KRJO. I was hoping it would be Spanish, but by 0120 fades in as English, so likely WPRR in Michigan.

Another 1680 remote possibility is the NAU station in Flagstaff AZ, ``KJAK``, part 15 or maybe a bit more, as Mike Sanburn reminds us, which you won`t find in the listings. Strangely enough, FCC AM Query shows KJAK is not assigned to any other AM station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Sept 29 around 0038 UT, KRJO Monroe LA with a couple IDs as ``Classic Country 16-80``, not ``Country Legends`` as I originally heard. Not sure if they are alternatives, one primary, one secondary, or a permanent change (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Sept 29 at 1203 UT in WKY OKC null, weak music in Spanish, so KHJ, LA? Next song is in English, same or something else? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Could KLUP San Antonio have flipped?