[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK July 26-August 1, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK July 26-August 1, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 530, ``K530AM``, Vance AFB, Enid --- finally on July 27 I have a chance to find out its coverage radius on a caradio --- surprisingly far for alleged 10 watts, but of course with band-bottom daytime groundwave advantage. It`s quite audible as far as I-35 east of Enid, i.e. about 30 miles, and still audible at Guthrie, 40 miles, powerline noise permitting; finally losing out around Edmond, 55 miles, just north of OKC. On US 81 south of Enid, it reaches at least as far as Okarche, 45 miles.

Noticed some new(?) PSAs in the rotation about swine flu and bird H1N1 flu, but still the equally unlikely threat in Oklahoma from hurricanes, plus the perpetual booster-seat one (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, July 30 at 0535 UT, KGWA Enid is off the air; no doubt because a storm blew thru during the previous hours, with lightning, high winds and rain; and we also had a few instantaneous power glitches. Unfortunately still too much storm noise to DX anything during its total absence rather than just dead air. Next check circa 1240, had returned to the air (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, July 28 at 0111 UT, KOKP Perry is in open carrier/dead air. A few minutes earlier I had heard its sibling station on 1580, KOKB Blackwell with a ``Triple Play`` slogan. It`s not unusual for one or the other of this slipshod pair to be mute. Normally // also the FM in Stillwater, they are capable of splitting for different stupid ballgames. Before KOKB came back in, I was getting a gospel huxter from some other 1580 with skywave well before sunset here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1400, July 27 before 1700 UT, I notice that KREF Norman is off the air; back on with sports talk at next check 1715 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1490, July 27 before and after 1700 UT, KMFS, Guthrie, Jimmy Swaggart`s station is in open carrier/dead air, a great improvement (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, July 29 at 0535 UT, Red Eye Radio is inbooming for a minute before fading down, no doubt KYHN ``Fort Smith AR`` really in OK. Affiliate list is just as mixed up as their politix, showing sic:
KWHN 1320 AM / 1650 AM Fort Smith AR
KYHN 1320 AM Fort Smith AR.
KYHN really 1650 has become quite uninteresting since their two months of promo stunting (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

========================

** U S A. 960, July 31 at 0500 UT, KGWA Enid Fox-hole of dead air is occupied by ABC news echoing between KMA and KGKL; I have KGWA so precisely nulled that even when its modulation resumes at 0505 I can still copy a station giving local weather, including KMA IDs in passing, i.e. Shenandoah IA (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, July 27 at 0531 UT, ``Cubs radio network``, PSA starting with avoiding mosquitoes. No doubt it`s WGEM Quincy IL, as on the Cubs roster,
http://www.tribuneradio.com/cubsaffilliates.htm
rather than the second harmonic of flagship WGN
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1620, UT Sunday July 28 at 0119 UT, Prof. Michio Kaku with `Science Fantastic` call-in show to 866-323-2538. He answers questions about science phoned in to his answering machine at any time; at the moment about dark matter. Mostly dominant signal but drops off at 0130, local sunset? FCC AM Query shows 0130 UT is the July sunset time for WTAW College Station TX, when it must cut from 10 to 1 kW; in August will be 0115.

Then a WTAW ID, College Station TX, but not sure if that was the Kaku station until checked his affiliate list, yes 6-9 pm CDT Saturday:
http://tunein.com/radio/options/Science-Fantastic-p152208/
All stations air it at some time on Saturday or Sunday, one, two or three hours. Says he is on 130 stations plus SiriusXM. Also delivers a promo for supporting advertisers on his and other shows on ``this station``. (Instead of an axual commercial.)

It`s nice to hear a talk show with some genuine educational value on commercial radio. But this is hardly sufficient compensation for WTAW propagating anti-American, anti-science cretins Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity full-time to the tune of 44 hours per week. ``We Talk And Whine``? I suppose WTAW picks up Kaku since it`s in a college town with some intelligent people.

Is Michio on KAKU-LP, 88.5 in Kahului HI? No, nor any Hawaiian station. That`s OK; he`s not from Hawaii, but per Wikipedia:

``Kaku was born in San José, California to Japanese immigrant parents (with Tibetan DNA ancestry). His grandfather came to the United States to take part in the clean-up operation after the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake [citation needed]. His father was born in California but was educated in Japan and spoke little English. Both his parents were put in the Tule Lake War Relocation Center, where they met and where his brother was born.

At Cubberley High School in Palo Alto, Kaku assembled a particle accelerator in his parents' garage for a science fair project. His admitted goal was to generate "a beam of gamma rays powerful enough to create antimatter." At the National Science Fair in Albuquerque, New Mexico, he attracted the attention of physicist Edward Teller, who took Kaku as a protégé, awarding him the Hertz Engineering Scholarship. Kaku graduated summa cum laude at Harvard University in 1968 and was first in his physics class. . .`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1680, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 2000-USB, August 1 at 0518 UT, New York Radio VOLMET is poorly audible, WSY70 still active on this strange new frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1290, July 26 at 0542-0545+ UT, some station looping roughly NW/SE is sending a regular tone of 17 seconds between pauses of 4 seconds. Presumably some unmonitored misfeed from a satellite program source. There are far too many possibilities in WY, KS, TX, AR, LA, MS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)