[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 27-October 3, 2013

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 27-October 3, 2013

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** MEXICO. 540, Sept 27 at 1201 UT, federal PSAs including from an agency I hadn`t heard before, Secretaría de la Marina about an essay contest(?), ``la juventud y la mar``; soon full AM & FM ID for La Ranchera de Paquimé, which it does very frequently as a boon to DX listeners, i.e. in Cantú:
540 XETX La Ranchera de Paquimé + FM 90.5 Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chih. 1,000 250
which continues to be the dominant XE on 540 around here despite its puny parameters (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGST)

** MEXICO. 540, Oct 2 at 1154 UT, Los 40 Principales promos and ads:
540 XEWA Los 40 Principales + FM 103.9 San Luis Potosí, S.L.P. 150,000 150,000 per Cantú. Still seriously doubt it`s anywhere near 150 kW any more, hardly a dominant signal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 570, Oct 1 at 1202 UT, XEBJB mentioning conditions at Monterrey airport; weak audio problem, much louder with canned announcement for ``Notiradio 570`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 650, Oct 1 at 1206 UT, 6:06 TC, XETNT, Los Mochis, news branded as ``Fórmula Noticias`` but local origination about Hurricane Manuel damage to Sinaloa. WRTH lists this as W Radio, which would seem to be contradictory (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Sept 27 at 1200 UT, hoping to catch a definite hourtop local ID, probably XEGD in Chihuahua, but only says ``Noticias MVS`` as I have been hearing fed out of the DF, and immediately into today-in-history feature (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Sept 30 at 1206 UT, ``La Poderosa`` ID, norteña music:
700 XEGD La Poderosa + FM 90.3 Hidalgo del Parral, Chih. 5,000 1,000
per Cantú, which for those who may not be aware, refers to this excellent online but not always totally up to date and correct reference: http://www.mexicoradiotv.com
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 720, Sept 29 at 1208 UT, three federal PSAs (always tagged ``gobierno de la república``), 1210 ID as Extremo 7-20, bit of music, then discussing a vendedor de casimires [= cashmeres, presumably sweaters made of goat wool], secuestro en la Zona Rosa. It`s XEJCC in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 720, Oct 2 at 1158 UT, Extremo 720, full ID on FM and AM with powers in Ciudad Juárez, but also mentions Coahuila (unseemed XEDE mixing in). Wish I could have caught details for XEJCC as Cantú shows no FM and the power listed on 720 must be wrong (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 760, Oct 2 at 1159 UT, full ID for Antena, also 102.5 FM, Chihuahua, Chihuahua. 760 is XEES (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 770, Sept 30 at 1229 UT, morning-zoo type show in Spanish, several talkers with funny voices, laughs, SFX, automatic 2-pip timesignal a few seconds before 1230; 1232 music, 1234 back to zoo but fading; no sign of KKOB or KKOB yet. At this late hour, I would lean toward Los Mochis, but can`t be sure it`s not Monterrey, per Cantú:
770 XEACH Radio Fórmula Primer Cadena   Monterrey, N.L. 25,000 1,000
770 XEREV Los 40 Principales + FM 104.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000   100
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 770, Oct 3 at 1230 UT, full ID from Sinaloa with FM XHREV, slogan Los 40 Principales, also en grupo Chávez, Radio K (?). Cantú:
770 XEREV Los 40 Principales + FM 104.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 100
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 780, Sept 30 at 1208 UT, time & temp in ``Monclova, Coahuila``, audible with KSPI OK nulled, fast SAH between them; Cantú:
780 XEWGR Exa + FM 101.1 Monclova, Coah. 10,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 800, Oct 1 at 1210 UT, ``Donald Duck`` scratchy modulation can be heard somewhere between and below KQCV and XEROK, previously traced to XEDD, La Tremenda, Montemorelos NL, which goes haywire, maybe worst in the mornings (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 820, Sept 29 at 1230 UT, WBAP is weak and am getting Spanish with it nulled again, string of federal PSAs, then ID for ``7-60 AM, ABC``, romantic music. So which station is relaying XEABC in the DF on 820?? Hey, it must be this one with an -A added to that call, per Cantú:
820 XEABCA Radio Frontera Mexicali, B.C. 3,500 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 860, Sept 30 at 1201 UT, dominating KKOW and everything else, is Spanish mentioning ``la zona metropolitana de Monterrey`` as if a local reference, i.e. in Cantú:
860 XENL Radio Recuerdo Monterrey, N.L. 5,000 2,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 870, Sept 29 at 1206 UT, birds chirping, announcement in Tarahumara mentioning XERTA; then to live YL DJ in Spanish with 6:06 TC, and hum on her mike; Guachochi, Chihuahua, La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara, an exotic favorite (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 880, Sept 30 at 1210 UT, a bit of mañanitas ending, then IFE PSA aimed at those turning 18 who should now register to vote. 1212 live YL mentions three saints whose day this is [if you believe in that sort of thing], ``en un día como hoy`` = efemérides, today-in-history which goes on and on as she reads haltingly from a long list of Sept 30 events including something in the year 0420, ``santo patrón de los traductores``, still going at 1217. Then, since 2009y, Sept 30 has been ``El Día Internacional de la Blasfemia``! in support of freedom of expression. Here`s more about it, in English:
https://www.facebook.com/blasphemyday
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_Day
where we learn that OK is among the states with an anti-blasphemy law, surprise2.

Oh yeah, so what station is this on 880? At 1219 losing a bit to another SS and to KRVN NE which I need to keep nulled; 1220 YL gives TC for 6:18 so it`s close to the UT-6 zone; 1222 birthday wishes to someone in Los Mochis, finally a local reference in passing; birthday song by tenor and mariachis, not to familiar tune nor mañanitas. I had thought it might be XEV Chihuahua, but it`s really the only other UT-6 Mexican per Cantú:
880 XEPNK Planeta + FM 103.5 Los Mochis, Sinaloa 10,000 2,000
So now this is more definite than my 880 logs of Aug 25 and Sept 10 in DXLDs 13-35 and 13-37 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 880, Oct 2 at 1229 UT, full ID for 10 kW on 880, also for FM 103.5 in Los Mochis, ``La Rancherita`` tho in talk, not music programming now; never hear the Planeta name, as in Cantú which must now be passé:
880 XEPNK Planeta + FM 103.5 Los Mochis, Sinaloa 10,000 2,000
Also passé are the ``Milenio Radio`` name listed in IRCA Log 2012. AND: ``Canal 880, La Super-Estación`` in WRTH 2013! What next?? No problem yet from nulled KRVN NE (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1689, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 900, Oct 3 at 1226 UT, time check for 6:26, mentions Cuauhtémoc, which correlates as the only 900 XE in UT -6 zone, Cantú:
900 XEDT Hits FM + FM 98.3 Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 930, Oct 2 at 1204 UT, I cannot null WKY OKC completely, but there is another Spanish station which I have suspected as KHJ Los Ángeles. However, this one seems really Mexican, mentions Hidalgo, timecheck in CDT and refers several times to ``88.9`` as its identity in passing; 1207 TC as ``7 con 7 minutos``, ``Panorama Informativo`` no doubt originating in México DF.

Hard to get a fix on this one vs WKY but remains audible further SW than LA would be. Of the nine XEs on 930, this one is most proximate in Cantú:
930 XESHT La Más Buena + FM 102.5 Saltillo, Coah. 1,000 250

So is this the one relaying XHM Siempre 88.9? Whose website
http://siempre889.com/la-estacion/
says ``Comenzamos el día con Noticias en la emisión de Panorama Informativo con Alejandro Villalvazo (6:00 hrs.), continuamos con música en compañía de Charo Fernández (10:00 hrs...)``

It`s an ACIR group station, so who`s ACIR on 930? Here`s the affiliate list sorted by program
http://siempre889.com/la-estacion/cobertura-nacional/
starting with Panorama Informativo; inconveniently without frequencies or calls, just cities and slogans, but there is nothing in Saltillo; so do any others match up on 930? The slogans are all too vague; only city-matches are Colima with Amor, and Veracruz with Mix, whatever those stations really are. Cantú for Colima shows Amor is 1430 & 99.7; Veracruz Mix is 1090 and 88.5, so dead ends there.

Could this 930 Spanish be some other US station? None known anywhere around here in 2013 NRC AM Log. Unless e.g. KLUP in San Antonio has flipped; stranger things have happened (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1000, Sept 30 at 0543 UT, ``la voz del pueblo es ¡La Rancherita!``, music. So strong I have to null it to hear KTOK. Cantú:
1000 XEFV La Rancherita Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 D
No, it is NOT a daytimer! IRCA shows it irregular 24h with 5/1 kW; WRTH as 1 kW fulltime (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 1030, Sept 29 at 1224 UT, romantic Mexican music, then ``en todas partes, Contesa`` (I think) also mentioning an FM, and 6:24 TC, back to music with a beat. Roughly WSW, and with it nulled I can hear KTWO WY with local weather. The UT -6 timecheck rules out Tijuana, leaving only these XE possibilities per Cantú:
1030 XEYC  Radio Fórmula Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000   500
1030 XEMPM Exa + FM 98.9 Los Mochis, Sin. 10,000 1,000
Maybe the word I heard was really Exa instead of Contesa (or Contessa) which leads nowhere on 1030. There is no US station in UT-6 except KTWO in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1300, Oct 1 at 1219 UT, Billy Joel`s ``Piano Man`` in English ending, then oddly timed opening of ``Radio México Noticias`` in Spanish from Grupo Radio México, originating in Chihuahua Capital, but this via XEP in Juárez. Usual dominant signal at SRS on day power of 38? kW, too bad for Tulsa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TA carrier search Sept 27 at 0117-0122 UT: none found on 9 kHz steps with BFO, but 1521 het against 1520 KOKC; these 1-kHz ones are best heard without the BFO, just listening for the het, and surely this is the 2-megawatt in the northwestern corner of Saudi Arabia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Atlantic MW carrier search Oct 2 at 0110-0114: JBA ones on: 1305, 1215, 1206, 1053, 1026, 954, 945, 783, 774, 684 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Sept 27 at 1205-1208 UT. JBAs on 594 --- this one seemingly westward rather than NW --- while there are several superpowers in Asia, there`s only a 50 kW in Victoria. Also from NW on 774, 972, 1053, usual Japanese, S Korean presumables (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Sept 29 at 1214-1219 UT, JBAs: 594, loops N/S instead of NW/SE, so either very skewed or something else; correctly NW JBAs on 693, 774, 828, 882, 1053, 1134 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Oct 1 at 1158-1201 UT: JBA on 693, 738, 747, 774, 882, 972, 1008; including NHK TS on 693: see JAPAN (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. 693, Oct 1 at 1200, JBA 3+1 NHK timesignal, i.e. JOAB, NHK2,
500 kW from Tokyo; among several other TP carriers; see UNIDENTIFIED
(Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1689, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN. 774, Sept 30 at 1159 UT, 27 minutes before sunrise here, my TP carrier search below 1200 kHz finds only this one from the NW, and tho it`s JBA, I decide to zero-beat the BFO on it and see if I can hear a timesignal: yes! At 1200, there it is, 3 + 1, the final one higher pitched and prolonged, typical NHK style, so JOUB, 500 kW NHK-2 is for sure. Akita is on the far side of Honshu, west coast toward the north end, almost 40 degrees north, but this doesn`t prevent it from being one of the best TP signals into deep North America. Here`s how it might have sounded with slightly better reception, another NHK-2 recorded almost four sesquiyears ago:
http://www.intervalsignals.net/files/jap-nhk2_jorb_kochi_011107.m3u
(Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1689, DX LISTENING DIGEST)