[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 20-26, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 20-26, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting two years ago are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 650, Sept 26 at 1158 UT, stuff about which MLB teams are ahead, nothing about Canada, but then on curling in Saskatoon, which strongly makes me suspect it`s CKOM: yes, outro as ``sports at :25 and :55 past the hours on the CKOM Morning News``. Dominating the frequency instead of usual XETNT, and too late for WSM or KIKK. But what about KGAB in between? 2005 NRC Pattern Book shows CKOM nite pattern is supposed to throw everything northward, while day pattern has only a minor lobe southward (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** OKLAHOMA [non]. 1590, Sept 22 at 1756 UT, I`m in Fairview OK for a beekeeper meeting, so try to hear KWEY Weatherford OK, about 50 miles away instead of 75 in Enid: nope, still nothing but KVGB Great Bend KS on groundwave with ID at 1756 UT after ESPN programming.

Still suspect despite unfavorable direxionality, KWEY is really not on the air. I was not expecting ESPN on KVGB, not among the numerous networks listed for it in the 2013 NRC AM Log, which finally arrived today after the USPS tore up the original envelope. Surely ESPN is nowhere near fulltime on it, maybe more on weekends (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===================

** U S A. 650, Sept 20 at 0525 UT, now we can`t depend on 650 Spanish music being somexican such as XETNT: WSM country song with Spanish lyrix, Gringo accent, back to English. BTW, there`s been an interesting thread on ABDX about how WSM`s coverage contracted drastically when they dropped AM stereo, even for those listening in mono. Of all the 50 kW AM big guns, WSM with its music format ought to bring AM$ back (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 670, Sept 22 at 1153 UT, KHGZ Glenwood AR is poorly audible as ``Hog Call Sports``, in southwest Arkansas, PSA urging conservation of electricity in the hot summer especially at 3-7 pm --- but, but, it`s no longer (very) hot, and it`s no longer summer. Routine check earlier around 0500 did not find them cheating this date vs WSCR & Cuba (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) {Oops, summer was still technically in effect with fall arriving later on Sept 22 mea culpa --- gh}

** U S A. 860, Sept 26 at 1227 UT, polka piece, so KKOW Pittsburg KS is still playing a polka every morning; earlier I was hearing some news or weather from KOAM, its ex-AM call, but now coming from the TV station of the same name (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 910, Sept 20 at 1133 UT, the distinctive voice of Orion Samuelson talking about farmers` markets, and the top ten states by number of them. (BTW it`s not like the Hunter, but ``OR-ee-un``). Break for national commercials, and for Dakota Agronomy, a clew. Show was `National Farm Report`, ending 1137 and ``91 Classic Country KCJB`` ID, which is Minot ND, 5/5 kW U4. Per 2005 NRC Pattern Book (still haven`t received the new 2013 edition), KCJB night pattern is mostly north; day pattern is a tangent circle favoring SW, but plenty also to the south. September sunrise for KCJB is not supposed to be until 1215 UT (October 1300). (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 950, Sept 22 at 0510 UT, classic rock dominating, then ``Cruisin` 9-50`` non-ID. NRC AM Log 2013 shows KRWZ Parker CO 5/5 kW U4 as ``Cruisin` Oldies`, surely close enough for a definite ID. It`s what was originally the legendary KIMN Denver, when oldies were newies (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Sept 24 at 1223 UT, YL national news of México, with subheadings interjected by OM, mentions ``la jornada``, ``electrónico de hoy``, 1226 fading a bit but program promo, 1227 definite TC as 5:27, and mentions Fórmula. That nails it as KNUV Tolleson (Phœnix market) AZ, 5000/250 watts, which is 24-hour newstalk with Grupo Fórmula, per NRC AM Log 2013, and except for local timechex, evidently fed out of the DF. ¡Viva Aztlán? There is only one real Mexican in the UT-7 zone, per Cantú, 250/100 watt XEMBC in Mexicali.

This Fórmula is heard well as long as a Clear Channel Communications station in English is nulled from the N/S, presumably KFXR from The Metroplex? No, FCC shows that licensed to Capstar TX LLC. Yet bringing up all the 1190s in FCC AM Query, there is not a single one licensed to Clear Channel; Capstar may be a subsidiary or LMA deal.

Here`s a story from two years ago which does include KFXR as a CCC station:
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2011/10/the_end_of_local_radio_reports.php
More directly, the CCC website (whatever became of the .cc domain?)
http://www.clearchannel.com/CCME/Pages/StationSearch.aspx
shows 1190 KFXR as their *only* AM station in Dallas (and none in Fort Worth) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, KFXR is a Clear Channel station. Keep in mind that individual stations or local groups will have ownership listed under the name of the local subsidiary, even though they are really just a part of,the overall corporate ownership. It's really all just business legalese. I suspect in a majority of cases the station employees are only vaguely aware (if at all) of the local business name, since payroll/benefits etc. are taken care of at the corporate level (Steve Luce, Houston, Texas, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1670, Sept 21 around 1330 and 2330 UT, I happen to be in the car and note WOZN Madison WI is loud & clear both times with CBS Sports; along with many other X-band and top-end skywave signals. Both in full sunshine at least an hour away from SR/SS here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Sept 24 at 0017 UT on caradio, along another trip to and from squirrel haven, I`m hearing classic country instead of business radio. This X-band frequency is dominated around here by KRJO, so another format change from Monroe? Sometime last year they went from ``Old School`` soul music to Business, often // 1660 Kansas City with Bloomberg {but not synchronized}.

Yes! After adstring including one mentioning John Kennedy, who is Louisiana State Treasurer, 0021 ID as ``Country Legends 16-80`` and also as Classic Country.

Still dominant back on the porch with DX-398 at 0111, TennErn with ``16 Tons``, then ``Classic country is like salt & pepper --- makes everything better with just one shake --- Country Legends 16-80, KRJO``. Change since the 2013 NRC AM Log went to press in August, anyway.

I suppose this is the source, altho it says nothing about on-air affiliates rather than webcasting: http://www.a1country.com/countrylegends.html

Own website http://www.krjo.com/ is still named NEWS RADIO 1680 AM but the live streaming
http://www.krjo.com/stream/live-stream.php
does bring up country music and soon the same slogans I have just logged (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1688, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Sept 26 at 1219 UT, buy-gold ad, 1222 music, certainly KRJO Monroe LA in new ``Country Legends`` format, but suffering from IADs several times a minute, i.e. audio dropping out intermittently at certain modulation peaks, both during the ads and music. But there`s a fast SAH from a second station which attracts my attention; see UNIDENTIFIED (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1680, Sept 26 at 1219-1222 as I am monitoring KRJO LA breaking up, there`s a fast SAH from a second station which attracts my attention as the other 1680 X-banders are rather far from here: KGED Fresno CA, WPRR Ada MI, KNTS Seattle WA, discounting at this hour the ones in FL and NJ.

Also could be a TIS/HAR such as WQEL629 with two transmitters near Santa Rosa NM on I-40 as recently reconfirmed active by Harold Frodge. I think those were left over long after some construxion work was completed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 4710, Sept 26 at 0058, JBA carrier as I start stepping thru the 60m band. It seems the 3 x 1570 Spanish harmonic that Dave Valko, PA and Bob Wilkner, FL have been hearing before sunrise is also on the air in the evenings. Plenty of possibilities without any further clews, likely from Mexico, Caribbean, Central America or near South America, if not axually domestic USA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)