[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK August 29-September 5, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK August 29-September 5, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting two years ago are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 690, Aug 30 at 0539 UT, Québecois interview stands out in the mix of other signals with KGGF KS open carrier. First thought is CBF Montréal, but that`s long gone, its replacement anglais. Loops NNW anyway, so this has to be CBKF-1, Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan, the CBC = SRC Première Chaîne outlet which NRC Pattern Book 2005 shows with a minor nite lobe in this direxion, otherwise mostly northward. A predominantly French town? Supposed to serve also Swift Current, Moose Jaw, even Regina? Hearing any French on 690 is certainly a rarity here (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1685, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Hi Barry, As you may have seen, I was hearing québecois on 690 last night, so assumed it must be CBKF1 in Gravelbourg, Sask. It has been suggested that station has already moved to FM. It is still on your lookup listing all Sask stations.
http://topazdesigns.com/ambc/
Do you have anything definite on whether it is still on 690? 73, (Glenn Hauser, Oklahoma to Barry McLarnon, Ont., via DXLD)

As far as I know, the 690 transmitter is still on, and I'm not aware of any plans to move CBKF1 to FM. I'm pretty certain that's who you heard. Cheers, (Barry McLarnon, Ottawa, ON, WORLD OF RADIO 1685, ibid.)

CBKF-1 is still on 690 as of Sept 1/13, 2250 UT (Dr Nick, Sask, ptsw yg via DXLD)

============================

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, August 29 at 2035 UT check on caradio, KEOR is off again. August 30 at 1900, it`s still off. Only KMOX audible August 31 at 1221 altho there is a weak SAH from algo when it`s nulled.

Regarding KEOR`s irregular late sign-on time (when not cheating all-night), Kevin O`Brien writes:

``Critical Hours - whatever that is? Glenn, In your show this week you talked about a station near you apparently coming on late as a daytimer, and it has critical hours license. It is likely following its license with its start time.

Critical hours is a third operational period for AM radio stations, not many have it as an issue, but critical hours are a period of up to 2 hours AFTER sunrise and BEFORE sunset --- that a station operates in its third mode. These are listed as DA-3. Just as some are DA, DA-N or DA-2.

Most appear to be newer stations and those that upgraded facilities. You can see why this may be needed when there are times that a distant station can be heard for a period of time before sunset at your location. If you can hear something from a location then that location could be bothered from a signal from your location. Hope this helps``

Yes, but FCC ought to specify exactly when the CH are in effect in each case.

1120, Sept 4 at 1220 UT, KEOR Catoosa/Tulsa/Sperry with praise music in Spanish, 1221 Radio Victoria program promo for some domingo shows; 1222 another such non-ID, music. KMOX had to be nulled at first, vs SAH of 270/minute = 4.5 Hz. Someone suggested previous late sign-on of KEOR would be in keeping with Critical Hours licensing, but not now. Its official September sunrise is 1200 UT and sunset 0030 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1520, Sunday Sept 1 before and after 1030 UT, KOKC with `CBS News Weekend Roundup` anchored by Dan Raviv, in-depth news of the week. Can`t say I`ve ever heard this before, but it`s been around for years, full info at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_News_Weekend_Roundup
No doubt because stations schedule it at sleepy times like 5 am Sundays. Same heard an hour later on CBS` own KMOX 1120 St Louis.

BTW, KOKC with its 50 kW direxional westward is a common catch in Hawaii, NZ and eastern Australia. Here somewhat offbeam, it is rarely free of CCI at night (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Now with some 50 kW competition from Washington

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Sept 1 at 1025 UT, ``Oklahoma`s Talk Radio, KYHN`` singing ID. Yet I see editors keep showing this as Arkansas, Fort Smith, which is merely its city of license. As I have outpointed repeatedly, KYHN transmitter site and business address are in OK, near or in Sallisaw, and now the station itself claims to be Oklahoman (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=====================

** U S A. 529, Sept 2 at 0539 UT, can make out ``LYQ`` in MCW beating against ``K530AM`` Vance AFB, more than vs Cuba, so Dave Frantz`s beacon at his private airstrip in TN has resumed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 550, August 31 at 1211 UT, skywave is gone from the lowend, groundwave KFRM Salina KS with ``The Food Chain``, promoting ``food sovereignty`` by urban farming (also eating bugs). Host is interviewing family members in different parts of country; sounds rather unspontaneous. His website:
http://metrofarm.com/food-chain-radio/
Only 14 broadcast affiliates are listed:
http://metrofarm.com/food-chain-radio-affiliates/
On KFRM it`s 7-8 am CT Saturdays (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 640, Sept 2 at 1222 UT, ``KFI, stimulating talk radio``, PDT TC after 5 am, making slow SAH less than 1 Hz with KWPN OK, so KFI is still audible with it nulled well after sunrise 1204 UT here today. A bit surprised to hear this as there were no other significant skywave signals below 920 by this time, and no XEs at all on the lower half (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my EWTN unID on 690: icurapossumhunter2 in SC, a.k.a. KJ4HYD, posted this to the ABDX yg:

Traveler`s Guide to American Catholic Radio, 15 August 2013, from Catholic Radio Update, a 2-page pdf. It *does* list one 690 EWTN (default network u.o.s.), and there it is:

New Orleans WQNO 690 & 104.9

So EWTN website`s own info is out of date showing two other AM stations there, and confirming my suspicion based on direxion and propagation that it was the 690 in New Orleans, which had been WIST, with Yahoo Sports Radio, as in last year`s NRC AM Log as of August.

Then checking FCC AM Query, 690 in NO is indeed now WQNO, owned by Catholic Community Radio, and calls changed from WIST on 12/19/2012. It`s now 10/5 kW with different direxionality day and night, but they have a CP for 9.1/0.016 kW, which hardly seems an improvement; also a slight change of coordinates along exactly the same longitude but 9 seconds further south in latitude, essentially on the same property (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, UT Saturday August 31 after 0505, KGGF is still on with sports talk, not play-by-play but maybe a break in some late game, since still going at 0605 with the K-State Sports Network closing at 0607, local ads, 0608 dead air, no KGGF sign-off or Taps or America the Beautiful. Coffeyville KS station normally stops just after 0500 with Taps, but leaves carrier on all-night. Friday evenings are favorites of DXers who can stand high school football as many stations cheat, but KGGF doesn`t need to and this was obviously collegiate (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Sept 4 at 0602 UT, ``La Caliente 830`` ID by super-hype voice actor (SHVA); no legal ID heard in break from non-soporific Mexican music. NRC AM Log 2012 shows WFNO, Norco LA, ``La Raza 830 AM``. Could be ``Kaliente``, favorite but proprietary(?) misspelling of the word, another hot one in addition to the real Mexican I got the hour before on 660. No, per
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFNO
``On March 11, 2013, WFNO changed moniker to "La Caliente 830am."

WFNO is rather regular with WCCO nulled. Don`t you believe their 750-watt night pattern
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/107371-2919.pdf
supposed to be a circle tangent to the SSE with the null meward to the NNW (And you`d think there would be a nominal notch north toward WCCO) (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1685, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, Sept 2 at 1217 UT, ``right here on 920, The Game``, ads with 702-AC phones. Good thing I got the latter, as 2012 NRC AM Log shows no slogan for KBAD Las Vegas NV, but it was/is sports format with Fox SR, 5/0.5 kW. Neat, as Nevadans are rare here; city-to-city distance 953 miles. A few minutes later I was still getting KFI 640 LA CA before low-band skywave fadeout, which lasts a bit longer mid-band. Later in the hour, KYFR in IA resumed dominating 920 here, altho it could have earlier, with September sunrise at 1200 UT. It`s easy to spot with religion and lots of quasi-classical sacred music.

FCC AM Query shows KBAD is ND day, direxional at nite only, in a butterfly 4-wing pattern; we are almost due east from there, slightly northward, so somewhere between a null at 70 degrees and a peak at 102 degrees, unless: It`s non-direxional day pattern now, contrary to 2005 NRC Pattern Book which showed it with a tangent circular pattern northeastward. KBAD is not entitled to ND 5 kW day until 1315 UT in September, with no PSRA known.

You`d think a station in one Carlsbad or another would crave a call like KBAD. Did this one in LV ever call itself ``K-bad`` under some previous format? (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1685, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, August 31 at 1219 UT, KNX Los Ángeles remains barely audible after sunrise with KLIO Wichita nulled, already promoting a 2-hour show on Thursday, Oct 3, ``Health Care Uncovered`` on how to get involved in the Affordable Care Act (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190 & 1330, Sunday Sept 1 at 1114 and 1113 UT respectively, the easily-recognizable voice of John B Wells, weekend host of `Coast to Coast AM` --- it`s certainly rare to hear this show anywhere after 6 am local, and most places it ends at 5 or even 4 am. The likely sources here are nearest known affiliates KFXR Dallas, and KNSS Wichita, where it`s after 6 am CDT and C2CAM affiliate list claims in TX only KFYO 790 Lubbock running it past 6 am and then only on Fri & Sat. While KFXR is supposed to stop at 5 am (10 UT) Sundays; no Kansan anywhere later than 6 am, with KNSS stopping at 6 am daily. Searching the two frequencies for other affiliates, no others in the US are shown on 1330 after 1100 UT, adjusting for timezones. But there is one on 1190, KEX Oregon until 1200 UT daily, but I am certainly not ready to assume I had that instead of KFXR, nice as that would be.

KFXR`s own schedule
http://www.dfw1190am.com/pages/headline_news.html
is probably outdated and full of holes: nothing accounted for overnight weekends, and still shows Phil Hendrie overnight weekdays

KNSS`s own schedule
http://www.knssradio.com/pages/11085343.php
Shows C2CAM ending at 5 am Sundays, then infomercials for two hours. Maybe all this is a Labor-Day-Weekend anomaly? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, UT Sun Sept 1 at 0524, somestation is giving WOAI a run for its money, and it`s playing jazz! YL scat-singing at the moment, best with WOAI nulled, making a fast SAH, but its own null indicates direxion ENE/WSW. Fading down by 0530.

Last year`s NRC AM Log shows one station on 1200 has a subsidiary Jaz format! WCHB in Taylor MI, 50/15 kW U4, which is mainly news/talk, but their website http://wchbnewsdetroit.com/schedule/ confirms ``Smooth Jazz`` Sat 6 pm to Sun 7 am, and also Sun 6 pm to 12 am [EDT = UT -4] and the DF fits. Due to the rarity of this format on commercial radio, I am tempted to claim a definite log rather than tentative. Doesn`t really matter since I am not counting stations. Night pattern of WCHB supposedly throws everything somewhat east of due north; day pattern also but broader (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1685, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, Sept 5 at 1907 UT on caradio at a fairly quiet parking lot on the west side of Enid, hearing two stations, one with Spanish music, and the other with English talk. SS is surely KRVT Claremore/Tulsa, as indeed IDed at 1915 as ``La Qué Buena`` (as not misspelt in the NRC AM Log 2012), and would expect the second signal to be 50 kW KFLC Fort Worth, but it`s also Spanish, the last we knew, with Univisión América. Don`t recognize the voice of the English talker, but 1956 finally mentions it`s the Glenn Beck Show, so with a sub today. Can`t pull any ID before 2000 Fox News with the QRM, but suspect there wasn`t any. Next closest 1270 for daytime groundwave is KSCB Liberal (no jokes, please), Kansas, and indeed it`s on the Beck affiliate list. I don`t normally get this in the daytime. It was fading up and down regularly, not too fast and not too slow, maybe as SAH with KRVT. Soon ruled out any skywave this time of year on higher frequencies
 scarcely a semihour after local mean noon at 1832 UT. KSCB is nondirexional days with 5 kW, so it`s feasible, really only 175 statute miles, 281 km, quite closer than FW but with one tenth the power, except most of KFLC`s power heads E/W, not towards us at all (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1640, Sept 5 at 0457 UT, local KOAG has CCI from an ESPN Radio station, even when KOAG is not fully nulled. Must be WTNI Biloxi MS, as recently reactivated, the only known ESPN on 1640, and a slightly different angle from here than KOAG site; sounds like instead of 1 kW night power, it could be the 10 kW day that WTNI has previously been accused of running. The two are a fast SAH apart, which means maybe circa 15 Hz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 880, Sept 5 at 1216 UT, in E-W null of N/S KRVN NE, mentions WJJR 98.9? then Stevie Wonder. WTFDA FM database shows WJJR as an AC station in Rutland VT on 98.1 and I certainly was not sure of the numbers or letters. Would expect this to be KLRG in Arkansas, but unclear why they would mention that station with no direct connexion. Perhaps a syndicated program also on it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 960, Aug 30 at 0501-0505 UT during Fox-hole of local KGWA running open carrier only, this time on the SRF-59 I am able to hear *without* nulling KGWA, a station with sports news and scores in English; bearing on it is NNW/SSE. Unknown which network but all-American so can`t be CFAC Calgary which I have DXed before in this window thru KGWA.

Now the guessing begins. Based on last year`s NRC AM Log with format info, most likely is KOVO Provo UT with FSR, and which the old Pattern Book shows with a minor lobe this way. But it`s more NW than NNW. Another one I have yet to ID is KROF in Abbeville LA (Lafayette market), listed as talk format if not sports, 95 watts non-direxional. KNEB Scottsbluff NE direxion also fits with 350 watts, but supposedly C&W format. I can hardly wait to recheck these formats in the new NRC AM Log.

BTW, I have a QSL card from KOVO endorsed ``third harmonic 2880 2/12/1969 at 6:50-7:38 pm MST``, from Glenn K. Shaw, CE. I think that was when I was in Denver. I subsequently reached a policy decision *not* to try to QSL harmonix, since that would encourage them to be suppressed, and indeed never heard that one since. 2880 in Enid is occupied by KGWA`s harmonic (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)