[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK August 23-29, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK August 23-29, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting two years ago are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, August 26 at 0544 UT, KOKP Perry again has lost modulation, just open carrier, making ~215/minute or 3.58 Hz SAH with KDKA which is quite audible with KOKP nulled; see USA. Such anomalies are almost routine with KOKP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, August 23 at 0555 UT, as I tune across and null KMOX, immediately get a Spanish ID starting with K-, and on to music, not definitely praiseworthy, and no re-ID at top of hour as it is losing out to KMOX, but still detectable past 0610. I can only conclude this is daytimer KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa cheating again, since it is also making typical SAH of a few Hz as heard on previous unpredictable occasions, and there are no other SS K-stations known, altho there are 3 or 4 in the W-zone on 1120.

1120, August 24 at 0508 UT, daytimer KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is on again in the nightmiddle; I don`t see how this could be accidental, but if KMOX doesn`t care, why should we? Why should the FCC?

0508 alabanza music is heard on the SRF-59, best in KMOX null, but at times strong enough to be heard and with few-Hz SAH under KMOX, unless KEOR be precisely nulled. 0512 break for YL speaking some devotional ``palabras de Victoria``; program promos for other dayparts; local ad mentioning something on 81st Street (typically Tulsa: east-west arteries on the south side all follow the formula (10x + 1); and back to music.

1120, August 25 at 0506 UT, gospel huxter in Spanish is atop KMOX briefly, no doubt daytimer KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa cheating again. And while often recently no signal past 1300 UT, on Aug 25 it`s already/still on at 1144 with (same?) preacher, and no KMOX, just before Catoosa legal sunrise of 1145.

1120, August 27 at 0619 UT, gospel huxter in Spanish, making SAH of about 4 Hz with KMOX nulled: no doubt KEOR Sperry/Catoosa/Tulsa daytimer still cheating (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1684, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, August 25 at 0508 UT, VG signal from ``U S Country`` = KGYN Guymon, and it has been thus for many nights now, obviously again ignoring its nighttime direxional null toward Philadelphia requirement (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1684, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1650, August 29 at 1123 UT, open carrier looping E/W; must be KYHN Sallisaw ``Fort Smith AR``; mixed with at least two others, sports from NE/SW, i.e. KCNZ in Iowa, and Spanish religion from NW/SE, i.e. KBJD Denver. Then at 1126 I hear Osgood from CBS in the mix, about Pres. Obama`s speech yesterday. Maybe that`s really from KYHN undermodulating.

The Spanish 1650 mentions Radio Transmundial (TWR) at 1125 UT, apparently closing a program from them, and at 1130 a definite ID in Spanish as ``16-50 A-M, KBJD``. I am not going to render the pronunciation of each letter as everyone should know at least that much Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=========================

** U S A. 529, Aug 27 at 0549 there`s a het upon 530 Cuba and 530 Vance AFB TIS, which I haven`t heard in ages. Must be 529 ``LYQ`` reactivated, as just tipped by Bruce Conti, Nashua NH log on the mwdx yg:

``529, *WQHL966 TN Morrison* - 8/25 0300 EDT [0700 UT] - Loud het against 530 R. Enciclopedia; repeating LYQ in Morse code. Listed in FCC database as an aviation radio navigation station at Roseanne Airport. New log``

I replied: ``Not new here, but haven`t heard a het of it in months, and presumed was inactive. This is run by Dave Frantz at his WWRB SWBC site (3185, 3215, 5050, 9370), and I think he only turns it on occasionally when needed as navigational backup. 73 Glenn Hauser, OK``

I hear it first on the SRF-59, just the A2 het, can`t make out any ID, but as I rotate the barefoot ultralight, the pitch of the het changes very slightly: because K530AM Vance is a bit higher in frequency than Cuba with which it normally makes a significant SAH. Then I switch to the DX-398 in LSB mode and can barely make out ``LYQ`` IDs. May soon be gone again for months. BTW, K530AM is still warning us about hurricanes hitting here.

529, August 28 at 0509 UT, no signal, no het from beacon LYQ which was active 24 hours earlier from the WWRB SW site in Morrison TN. May be off again for months. I suspect Dave Frantz chose the letters LYQ for non-ID, because in CW, each is made up of `opposite` dits and dahs, confusing to those trying to grasp the language: .-.. / -.-- / --.- It`s customary for beacons to use made-up usually three-letter calls as their legal IDs would be quite cumbersome:
WQHL966 would be: .-- / --.- / .... / .-.. / ----. / -.... / -....
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 660, August 25 at 1158 UT, C&W music is dominating here from east/west, bet it`s KTNN. Yes, so IDed in English at 1159: ``KTNN, 660, Window Rock-Mexican Hat``. Obviously is once again failing to observe night direxional with null this way toward NYC, even tho the signal would never get that far anyway across the terminator right here in Enid. Continues to add various Navajo towns to city of license; my previous report mentioning a ``Springs`` was probably Sunrise Springs, west of Window Rock AZ, while Mexican Hat is up in Utah near Monument Valley. I.e. a sombrero? Which means shader, a bit more descriptive than ``hat`` probably from same root as ``head`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1684, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, August 27 at 0557 UT, ``770 KKOB`` ID, promo Mark Levin show [far right wacko]; is clear and dominant E/W signal vs rock music N/S, probably XE if not Metroplex. Usual quandary about whether this is bleed from the main 50 kW KKOB transmitter in Albuquerque`s North Valley which is supposed to protect WABC, maybe out of whack, but not strong enough to be on day pattern; or the co-channel nite-only 230-watt non-direxional fill-in relay in Santa Fe (Glenn Hauser, OK, SRF-59, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, August 29 at 1137 UT, I am nulling WKY OKC to find another very weak station with Spanish music, except it`s more romantic without all the tubas pumping away on La Indomable. But I have to keep adjusting the DX-398 on my belly to be sure I am still hearing the DX. A real Mexican would be nice, but there are none in the northwest beyond Saltillo, so it`s probably KHJ Los Ángeles, a.k.a. ``La Ranchera`` in latest incarnation. By 1142 something in English is taking over the WKY null position. (But WKY also runs ads in English mixed with Spanish as I heard one at tune-in.) Not only by awakening before latening sunrise, but info from NRC DX News that WKY has got an extension on their STA to run 1 instead of 5 kW at night have spurred me to resume DXing 930 beyond OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 970, August 29 at 0535 UT, program promos mention WDCJ? in QRM; think it must have been fonetikally similar WGTK Louisville KY sending a radiowave this way (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Monday Aug 26 at 0544 UT, `Overnight America` going to a commercial break, no doubt KDKA Pittsburgh, best with open carrier from nearly-local KOKP Perry OK nulled, otherwise making SAH of about 215/minute = 3.58 Hz. KDKA schedule confirms ONA is M-F 1-5 am ET:
http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/kdka-radio-program-schedule.pdf

So combined with the New York Radio VOLMET mention, we are fairly sure Pittsburgh still exists. Website also claims KDKA ``reaches 38 states at night`` --- OK, let`s try to figure out which 12 it doesn`t ``reach``? AK, HI, WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, UT, ID, MT, WY, CO, NM? Oops, that`s 13 so have to remove one, CO? What about FL at the other extremity? There are low-powered nite operations allowed on 1020 in (south) FL, NE, MN and OK among the states otherwise ``reached``. I guess the little MN outlet doesn`t prevent KDKA from leaping into ND (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I am deliberately checking this frequency since latest NRC DX
News AM Switch reported ``1190, KPHN, MO, Kansas City – Went silent 7/31
 pending sale by R. Disney``.

1190, August 29 at 1209 UT playing
``Southern Girl`` C&W from NE/SW, then ``Country Legends --- the
all-new 11-90, KGGZ`` so at first I think this is KPHN`s replacement,
but FCC AM Query has no KGGZ, instead KQQZ in De Soto MO, i.e. St. Louis
 market. Site appears to be across the river near Granite City IL, while
 De Soto is axually about 45 miles south of St Louis. So KPHN, or rather
 FCC facid 4373 is apparently still silent (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

[following NY Radio logs concern a MF station on 2000 kHz, but also on HF]

** U S A [and non]. 10051-USB, August 22 at 0530, New York Radio is on the air,
but like yesterday, VOLMET is ``missing`` for Chicago-O`Hare, Milwaukee,
 Minneapolis, Detroit, and Boston, as robo-announced over and over. At
1337 check, no signals at all on 10051-USB or 13270-USB.

10051-USB, August 23
 at 0531, NY Radio VOLMET, WSY70 is back in whack after several days of
``missing`` airports. Milwaukee conditions at the moment. At 0535 also
audible on 3485-USB, but nothing on 2000-USB or 6604-USB.

13270-USB, August 23 at 1339, ditto with St. Louis VOLMET.

10051-USB,
 August 23 at 1348, very poor with 2-way/SELCALL ACI on the lo side. All
 are quite weak, maybe just poor propagation. At 1351, same frequency
has been handed over to Gander with St. John`s weather, but hardly any
stronger.

2000-USB, Aug 26 at 0536, New York Radio is back on its strange medium
frequency! Barely audible after missing a few weeks(?) this month. Pays
to keep checking, once BFO is tuned to exactly 5000 WWV, minus 3 MHz on
the FRG-7.

Furthermore, Pittsburgh is not ``missing``. Then I
check the other WSY70 frequencies: nothing audible on 3485, 6604 or
13270, but good on 10051-USB at 0539 when Atlantic City VOLMET is not
missing. Seems it`s potluck which of their frequencies will be active at
 any given time.

2000-USB, August 27 at 0541, New York Radio, WSY70 is JBA with VOLMET;
at first tune I thought it was off, but once I had zeroed in on exact
5000.00 WWV and tuned down exactly 3 MHz, could detect it (Glenn Hauser,
 OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1684, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

6604-USB, Aug 29 at 0514, New York Radio with Baltimore VOLMET
 not missing, WSY70 found here after no signals on 2000 and 3485 (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 690, August 27 at 0555 UT, on the SRF-59, I am rotating to see what`s there along with the KGGF KS all-night open carrier. Normally it`s KTSM El Paso and XEN México DF, but looping roughly NW/SE is a promo in English for `Mother Angelica Live` on EWTN Radio! I`ll look it up in the morning; oh, oh, not a single 690 station at:
http://www.ewtn.com/radio/amfm.asp
I not only search the number, but visually inspect the entire affiliate list in case the frequency on one of them is in a non-searchable such as jpg format. Nope. Sure hope I was on the right frequency, as on the SRF-59 you tune by feel/sound and ignore the off-dial. Don`t doubt it, as was along with KGGF OC, and IBOC noise on the lo side from WLW. Besides, EWTN has no stations on 680 either (nor of course 700), so it must be something new. No EWTNs on 690 either in last year`s NRC AM Log; maybe the new one will reveal. Two suspects:

WIST New Orleans LA, which was sports, YSR, 5 kW nite direxional with CP for 108 watts non-direxional, bearing fits
KSTL St Louis, was gospel anyway, 18 watts at nite, wrong direxion.

EWTN affiliate list has WCKW 1010 as their NOLA station; KHOJ 1460, and WRYT 1080 as their STL-area stations. Don`t find a website for WIST, but its Facebook as sports talk ominously stopped July 20, 2012. However, it was still ``Sports Hangover`` when Terry Krueger logged WIST November 19, 2012.

KSTL website http://www.shine690.com/ does not provide a program schedule, but lots of promotion, nothing looking Catholic, but rather Black-orientated, altho they do have some other ``Rev. Mother``.

BTW, I thought M. Angelica had a stroke years ago, so her broadcasts are not likely to be ``live`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)