[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 13-19, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 13-19, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting two years ago are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. Re my logs of comedy on 650 with WSM nulled:

This is supposedly comedy radio 650 from Houston, KIKK, the former country and then sports station. If they are going 24/7 then they are likely breaking the rules, that's a daytime only, IIRC. They are listed in the affiliates list here as Houston KIKK 650:
http://allcomedyradio.com/affiliates.php
(David Block, DFW, TX, DX LISTENING DIGEST) see also USA

Yes, there it is on this list, a different one than I found for 24/7 Comedy; are these totally separate networks? KIKK may be a new addition, but same list still shows KFNY 1640 OKC (Enid) as a full-format affiliate which it has not been for several years! FCC AM Query shows callsign change dates: KFNY was in effect from 02/16/2004 to 03/30/2005, then KFXY with sports, and since 01/01/13, KOAGriculture.

As for KIKK, it is indeed a 250-watt Daytimer ONLY, and owned by CBS Radio Texas! Probably the least of all their stations; CoL Pasadena (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) HOWEVER:

Comedy (if you can call it funny; I can't) on 650 is from CKOM.
http://www.newstalk650.com/shows
73 KAZ (Neil Kazaross, IL, IRCA via WORLD OF RADIO 1687, DXLD)

Aha! Time fits, as on weekdays it`s only one hour 11-midnight CST = 0500-0600 UT; but weekends 2330-0600 UT. Labeled only as ``comedy``, source not given. Looking back at my two logs so far, the first one did hear a promo for 24/7 Comedy, so agreed it`s CKOM Saskatoon, not KIKK (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1687, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA [and non]. 800, Sept 14 at 0545 UT, astounded to hear something else in English with KQCV OKC nulled, as XEROK normally dominates that position. Soon recognized as `Coast to Coast AM`, guest a wacky believer in angels, // but not synch with e.g. WHAS 840. Either XEROK has decided to resume being a border station, or it`s that other border station, CKLW Windsor Ont., which tho widely covering the East, is really rare here. C2CAM affiliate list shows some little ones on 800 also in MO, AL, WV and GA.

And in Canada, not only CKLW (a.k.a. ``Detroit``), but also CJAD Montreal. This one is making a 4 Hz SAH with KQCV unlike XEROK virtually zero-beat. As I tuned in, Mexican music JBA underneath from the opposite direxion; by 0615 English is weaker but with a definite ID for CKLW, and weather in Celsius (only!). 2005 NRC Pattern Book shows CKLW major night lobe goes NE, but there is a minor one more or less in this direxion. Initially inbooming, a fluke of propagation, or out of spex? CJAD`s night lobe is all northward (if really observed) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===================

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Sept 19 at 1147 UT, open carrier as usual from daytimer KSPI Stillwater, after 1200 with local news instead of sports. Have not noticed their carrier in the nightmiddle lately, but always on way before LSR, which is officially 1215 in Sept (1230 in Oct). FCC AM Query shows KSPI does have a PSRA starting at 6:00 am of ONE WATT in Sept thru Feb, bumped up to 10 watts in March, and the full 250 rest of the year. This is NOT one watt or even ten (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also CANADA: 800

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Sept 16 at 1203 UT, praise/gospel rock with heavy beat, soon Spanish ID as Radio Victoria, dominant over KMOX or anything else; so KEOR Catoosa is on by sunrise today (if not earlier), officially 1200 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===================

** U S A. Wrapping up the comedy mystery on 650, IDed as CKOM Saskatoon during certain hours, where it was also discussed that KIKK Houston was comedy too, Steve Ponder, N5WBI in Houston says: ``I'm listening to KIKK-650 as I type this email. They definitely ID as "CBS Sports Radio 650." The TOH ID is "KIKK AM 650 Pasadena-Houston, CBS Sports Radio 650."`` So the allcomedyradio website affiliate list is way out of date on this too as it is for 1640 OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 670, Sept 14 at 0540 UT with WSCR nulled, much more than any Cuban signal is ``Hog-Call Sports Radio 670 AM & 98.9 FM & .com`` as IDed several times along with ``southwest Arkansas weather``, promo as Dallas Cowboys station, also promo their swap-shop show in the mornings. Makes SAH of 5 Hz with WSCR, while Rebelde is almost zero-beat. This is of course KHGZ in Glenwood AR (ex-KWXI) as previously caught cheating August 15, explained in DXLD 13-34, as it`s licensed only for 5 kW ND daytime. ``Hog`` refers to a team in AR called the Razorbacks, which is a porcine subspecies. No ``sooo-eeee`s`` heard yet, however. Both WSCR and KHGZ are with CBS Sportsradio, but I`ve yet to hear them // echoing, which could surely happen elsewhen.

670, Sept 17 at 0503 UT, ``Hog Call Radio`` is dominating WSCR (and Cuba) with SAH, i.e. KHGZ, Glenwood AR, once again cheating 5 kW daytimer at night. But not heard just before 1200 when it should have been there around sunrise (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1687, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, Sept 13 at 0600 UT, KOA Denver with detailed NWS flood warnings relayed; snippet of Fox News but it`s also pre-empted for KOA`s own flood info, and also later breaks into Coast to Coast AM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Since then tho the flood emergency has continued, whenever KOA checked it`s been business as usual

** U S A [and non]. 870, Sept 19 at 1148 UT, dominant signal in Vietnamese, voice-overing someone in English, certainly KFJZ Fort Worth; fades out a few minutes later before XETAR takes over from *1200 with NA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 13 at 1215 UT, talk in indecipherable language, presumed Navajo/Dineh from KHAC Tse Bonito NM = Window Rock AZ, 1216 a song. Not much KRVN NE now even when rotated to right angle. I`m not sure yet when the sweet spot for KHAC is now, but its official Sept sunrise is not until 1300 UT, for 10 kW ND day instead of 430 W ND nite. Its PSRA is also 430 watts, so makes no difference (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1687, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 910, Sept 13 at 1218 UT, ad for bankruptcy firm on Camelback Road in Phœnix, stuff about NFL, today`s high 101, Fox sports. So it`s KGME with 5/5 kW. Certainly still `night` there when supposed to throw southward with tiny lobe to the east, 80 degrees. No PSRA is on file at FCC, and official September sunrise is not until 1315 UT. I wonder if they are `confused` about MST vs MDT, when daytime officially starts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Sept 19 at 1155 UT, YL preacher in English loops NE/SW, fair signal and suspect KXEN as direxion and format fit; QRM increases but at 1159 I do make out a KXEN ID, not positively same station as earlier. In an article for IRCA DX Monitor Sept 14 about ``Your First Ten Missouri Stations``, Eric Bueneman in Hazelwood discounts 50 kW KXEN because it`s temporarily QRP:

``I did leave one 50 kW station off this list: KXEN 1010, licensed to Festus (in southern Jefferson County). This Christian teaching station is left off because it presently operates at very low power (375 watts day, 175 watts night) with a non-directional pattern. The station’s transmitter site, at Pontoon Beach, IL, was in the process of being sold at the time this was written.``

So it`s not really a Missouri station, anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1500, Sept 19 at 1215 UT, long relay of NOAA Weather Radio with usual degraded audio and robotic intonation; suspect KJIM Sherman TX rather than a TIS: yes, NOAA finally mentions something locally identifiable, ``North Texas``    (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1190, Sept 17 at 1207 UT, Spanish with language lesson by YL about words: colateral; ``protagónico`` does not exist despite related words protagonista, etc. 1208 on to Mexican news about tormentas tropicales hitting both coasts with clips of various officials; 40,000 turistas affected in Acapulco; 1215 losing out to CCI. Certainly sounds like a Mexican, but some US stations do too; loops close to E/W indicating one of these unlikely XEs in Cantú:
1190 XEMBC Canal 1190 AM Mexicali, B.C.      250 100
1190 XEPZ  Radio Norteña Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 100

Another possibility is the one US SS station westward:
1190 KNUV Tolleson AZ, Grupo Fórmula, La Radio Excelente, 5000/250 U4 per last year`s NRC AM Log. Strangely, own website
http://www.1190-am.com/index.php/programacion
does not show any programming between 7 pm and 7 am (0200-1400 UT) as if it were a strict daytimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)