[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 20-26, 2013

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 20-26, 2013

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting two years ago are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** MEXICO. 560, Sept 22 at 1151 UT, amid Mexican music, ID mentions Grupo Radio Centro, and I think an FM frequency with a 6 in it. I was hoping this would be enough to pin it down, but we have contradictory info. First thought is the DF station, XEOC, as googling matches up 560 with GRC in the DF; maybe it once was, but the GRC website now has an AM dial starting at 690. As for affiliates elsewhere, can`t find any listing of them on GRC website.

IRCA Mexican Log 2012 has no GRC nets on 560. Cantú does not include nets on the by-frequency list, but has:
560 XEOC Radio Chapultepec México, DF 750 500
And so does WRTH 2013; really low-powered compared to the other DF stations! Other sources contradict that info: IRCA has XEOC as La Mejor with 5/5 kW, but in the PM - Promomedios group. Perhaps one of the seven other XEs on 560 now is a GRC station, but which? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 560, Sept 24 at 1201 UT, full ID, AM & FM for as in Cantú:
560 XESRD La Tremenda +FM 89.3 Santiago Papasquiaro, Dgo. 10,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, Sept 23 at 0512 UT, partial ID includes an FM in .7 and maybe ``La Lupita``, but these point to two different possibilities in Cantú:
660 XEACB La Lupe + FM 98.9      Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000
660 XEAR  La Mexicana + FM 101.7 Tampico, Tamps.     5,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 680, Sept 23 at 1212 UT, PSA for something in Sinaloa, then SHVA ad or promo, 1213 ``Noticias en Punto``, 6:14 timecheck, ``en el valle del Yaqui``, then detailed estado del tiempo (weather report). So this is again:
680 XEORO La Mera Jefa + FM 93.7 Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Sept 23 at 1205 UT, romantic music, ID thrice only as ``La Poderosa``, more music, dominant until 1215 fading down, 1218 gone, but right back up playing choral NA at very odd time, apparently very short version; 1219 bit of a song mentioning Chihuahua, but incomplete, IDs for XEGD 700 y XHGD 90.3, ``Sistema combo desde Parral``; ``Buenos días, con XEGB, La Poderosa`` singing ID, back to music. Cantú:
700 XEGD La Poderosa + FM 90.3 Hidalgo del Parral, Chih. 5,000 1,000.
No, he shows the FM is really XHEGD, following the usual pattern if the added FM four-letter XH-- call is already assigned somewhere else (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Sept 24 at 1203 UT, big hum added to open carrier as often heard in mornings; station warming up for late sign-on, still hum at 1210; at 1211 some CCI in Spanish starts to appear underneath, could be KHSE TX. 1218 choral NA is in progress, 1219 full sign-on ID from XEGD, La Poderosa in Parral, i.e. as in Cantú:
700 XEGD La Poderosa + FM 90.3 Hidalgo del Parral, Chih. 5,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Sept 26 at 1200 UT, YL with lots of news items referring to the ``DF``, 1201 ``Noticias MVS``, Today in History segment with clips in English of a poet, Olivia Newton-John with ``Xanadu``. Like my previous log April 25 at 1108 as in DXLD 13-18, I am still wondering which 700 station is taking this network feed out of the DF. Obviously same one heard Sept 12 at 1201 UT with history clips, as in DXLD 13-38, probably XEGD in Hidalgo del Parral, rather than XEDKR in Guadalajara (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 710, Sept 26 at 1204 UT, ``iniciamos Noticiero Cuestión de Minutos``, a rather odd name for a newscast, W&M anchors chat, weather for Chihuahua, so as expected it`s just XEDP in Cuauhtémoc, the usual dominator (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 720, Sept 23 at 1209 UT, low-key conversation, 1211 mentions Extremo 720, music break; Cantú still hasn`t corrected the extra zero on the night power:
720 XEJCC Extremo 7-20 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 1,0000 [sic]
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 760, Sept 26 at 0510 UT, preacher in Spanish, but sounds almost sane, NE/SW and way over WJR with SAH from opposite direxion, gradually fading back up. Unseems any US SS station, leaving it to Mexico. Chihuahua would be the obvious choice, tho none listed as totally religious; recheck at 0527, I make out an ``Antena 760`` ID way under WJR mentioning Chihuahua, but by then not necessarily same station, altho SAH seems the same. Cantú:
760 XEES Antena + FM 102.5 Chihuahua, Chih. 10,000 1,000
Meanwhile, WJR is on `Redeye Radio`, usual hateful anti-Obama rants; tnx a lot, WBAP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 770, Sept 20 at 1217 UT, dominant here instead of KKOB or KKOB is Spanish YL and sidekix, livening up a This-day-in-history segment with a quiz, guess the year? Pertaining to Zoroaster and Juárez, what a pair. Presumed this one per Cantú based on format and previous logs:
770 XEACH Radio Fórmula Primer Cadena Monterrey, N.L. 25,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 780, Sept 21 at 1159 UT, KSPI OK open carrier on early as usual but no programming quite yet; with it nulled, there is romantic music, 1201 ID as ``La Poderosa`` on an FM frequency I could not copy twice, and 780 AM; automated timecheck twice as ``7 con 1 minuto`` so it`s certainly in the UT-5 zone CDT. The new 2013 NRC AM Log does not show any SS US station on 780.

Last IDed XE on 780 was XEWGR in Monclova, Coahuila, and there are none further west or north, so I don`t see how this could be anything else, but IRCA Log shows it named ``Exa`` which is primarily on FM. Maybe ``poderosa`` is just an informal slogan, and 10 kW on AM could qualify if that mattered in Mexican terms, but their FM 101.1 is only 2397 watts. No other 780s are named Poderosa in IRCA or Cantú (but both show a second Exa not to be confused with this):
780 XEWGR Exa + FM 101.1 Monclova, Coah. 10,000   250
780 XEZN  Exa + FM 104.5 Celaya, Gto.     5,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 820, Sept 24 at 1206 UT a state anthem is playing under WBAP (which I never can null out completely), making slow SAH; 1208 CCI from a third station, but the anthem ends with a prolonged hi note, unlike the Coahuila anthem I previously linked to. No sign-on announcement audible immediately after the anthem.

There is nothing from Coahuila or Chihuahua on 820, in deference to WBAP. Could it be Durango where there`s an 820, XEDRD? Official state anthem just premièred on July 8, 2013, as in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwVpGu7n6Q
by children`s choir, certainly not the version I heard, and without the prolonged hi note at the end, tho that could be a certain singer`s show-off on another anthem.

Ajá, the Sinaloa anthem does have that prolonged hi note finale:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydkuaKP7vYw
It seems this too has just been adopted in April of this year, following a contest.

So based on this somewhat tenuous connexion, I will make the log tentatively the only Sinaloan on 820, per Cantú:
820 XEUDO Radio UdeO (Univ de Occidente) + FM 89.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 1,000 250
Sinaloa of course is a hot-spot for SRS MW DX around here with many other stations logged, despite distance of almost a kilomile. 650 XETNT is a regular (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 850, Sept 23 at 1150 UT, Milenio Radio dominant with news, such that I can only hear KOA by nulling this; makes SAH about 5 Hz:
850 XEM Milenio Radio + FM 103.7 Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 870, Sept 21 at 1202 UT, opening in presumed Tarahumara language, several announcers introducing themselves in Spanish; 1205 live timecheck by YL DJ with many IDs in passing as XETAR and also as La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara, Guachochi, Chihuahua; she sounds a bit sleepy (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 960, Sept 23 at 0502 UT, during local KGWA Fox-hole of dead air, amid QRMix I hear the 4 descending chimes of XEW, previously matched to XEK in Nuevo Laredo; Cantú:
960 XEK La Estacion Grande Nuevo Laredo, Tamps. 5,000 1,000
0503 something playing ``Let It Be`` in instrumental band version, not necessarily XEK. I`ve continued to monitor the pentaminute KGWA Fox-hole which still happens almost every night, but hear the same old stuff, ABC news echoing, etc., from KGKL/KMA, so not reported. XEW/XEK chimes are rare enough to be notable (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 970, Sept 26 at 1212 UT, choral NA at odd time, way under gospel huxter in English, presumably KHVN Tulsa, atop XEJ Juárez which often owns 970 here at night. Yet in the noroeste there`s another Chihuahuan, a Sonoran and a Sinaloan I would prefer to hear (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1030, Sept 26 at 1228 UT, romantic music in Spanish, loops east-west; 1229 ID but missed the critical parts: ``XE--, Mil 30 AM, Radio ---``. Probably this as in Cantú:
1030 XESDD Radio Romance Tijuana, B.C. 5,000 5,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. I start my circa 0100 UT Sept 20 monitoring session on the porch with DX-398 on MW instead of SW, looking for TA carriers. First try 783 for Mauritania --- nothing there, but instead on 785?! I guess it`s a birdie, but how would it show right on 785.0 when all the major signals are on multiples of 10? KSPI Stillwater OK also used to put out spurs on 776 and 784, not heard in a long time now.

At 0052-0055 a few real TA carriers are detected JBA on: 774, 1053, 1107, 1575 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TA carrier search UT Sept 21 at 0050-0055: JBA on: 774, 783, 882, 909, 945, 1044, 1053, 1107, 1134, 1152, 1206, 1215, 1422, 1494, 1503, 1512. Quite a haul; now if I could only get modulation.

TA carrier search UT Sept 22 at 0128, JBAs: 783, 882; resume at 0134 to find 945, 1125, 1134, 1179=could be Cuba (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TA carrier search, Sept 26 at 0055-0058 UT, before getting down to SW business, DX-398 on the porch: JBAs on 783, 882, 1053, 1521 kHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Sept 21 at 1139 UT: 747 and stronger 774, both surely NHK, and 1053, the S Korean jammer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Sept 22 at 1145-1150 UT: JBAs on 693, 747, 774, but not peaking at the same times (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Sept 23 at 1158-1200 UT: JBA on 594, 693, 747, 774, 972, 1053: usual Japanese, Korean suspects. 774 was noticeably strongest but still not enough for audio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Sept 24 at 1158-1200: JBA on 747, maybe on 1008; not checked above 1200 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Sept 26 at 1148-1152 UT: JBA on 693, 774, 882, 1008 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)