Re: [Swprograms] Seattle, too...with BBCWS 24/7

At 11:23 PM 11/30/2006, Ted Schuerzinger wrote:

>I'm reminded of the time my dad had to apply for an entry visa to France
>(back in the late 80s when US citizens had to do so thanks to a French
>anti-terrorism law).  He called the French consulate, and when he didn't
>understand the French of the woman who answered, she sneered at Dad that
>he really ought to be able to speak more then one language.
>
>My dad started talking to the woman in German.

In that same era I had occasion to travel to Toulouse, France on space industry business.  I found everyone freely talking English and fluently.  I asked why this was happening.  My French host told me that when the European Space Agency was formed, they agreed on 3 official languages, English, French, and German.  The French refused to speak German and the Germans refused to speak French so the default official language became English.  Now you know the rest of the story!

Joe Buch