Re: [Swprograms] Sirius Canada (was 'An article fromglobetechnology.com')

On 14/06/05, Joe Buch <joseph.buch@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I remember, 90% of the Canadian population lives within 200 miles of the US border.  I got that statistic back in the 1960's when Canada was debating carriage of US TV stations on Canadian cable TV systems.

You make a good point, Joe.

Although I don't know what the statistic is today, it is likely close
to that 90% figure.

And yet, that still leaves 10% of the pop. here, almost 3 million
people. The CRTC may decide that any new radio systems should cover
the entire country/population, and thus have 100% reach.

This is similar to what CBC radio did some time back. In order to
cover almost the entire population, it placed low-powered relay
transmitters, usually FM, in hundreds of small communities so as to
achieve near total coverage.

After all, it is folks well way from the main centres who, arguably,
would deserve the many channels of satellite radio the most. Those in
rural areas have less choice than those in the bigger cities. Not only
would satellite radio provide lots more choice (esp. on the music
front), but it could cover all of the rural areas "in one go".

73,
pb