Re: [Swprograms] Sirius Canada (was 'An article from globetechnology.com')

Re: [Swprograms] Sirius Canada (was 'An article from globetechnology.com')

No, not legally.  Their application, just like Sirius', is pending
with a decision expected Thursday.

CanCon rules are roughly as you describe them.  While I haven't read
the applications of both services in detail (sorry, priorities away
from radio do take precedence sometimes) I believe both services
committed to elevating the CanCon percentage slightly on existing
stations and devote new channels exclusively to Canadian content.

However, the overall percentage of Canadian content on all channels
rolled up together is well below 20%, I'd surmise.

The entire Canadian satellite radio debate, and the burgeoning XM and
Sirius gray market, have (in the opinions of some) emasculated the
CRTC to the point of irrelevance in this.  Many have argued that the
marketplace should decide -- that if consumers don't care about
Canadian content with their subscription media choices, they should
not have to have it forced upon them.

For the first time I saw mention in the Canadian press that XM will be
at a distribution disadvantage as its satellites are lower to the
horizon than Sirius' satellites.  XM will be required to use
terrestrial repeaters more often.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA