Re: [Swprograms] Sirius Canada (was 'An article fromglobetechnology.com')

At 10:18 AM 6/14/05 -0400, Peter Bowen wrote:

>Presumably, one of the main drawing cards of satellite radio *directed
>to Canada itself* is that it will serve all Canadians, wherever they
>may be located.

As I remember, 90% of the Canadian population lives within 200 miles of the US border.  I got that statistic back in the 1960's when Canada was debating carriage of US TV stations on Canadian cable TV systems.  Cultural domination by the USA was the concern then as now.  If that statistic is still accurate, I doubt that any change in satellite antenna pointiong or beamwidth would be necessary to cover 90% of Canadians.  I do not know if the satellite antenna beams are electronically synthesized or result from a physically large dish antenna.  If synthesized, possibly beamwidth could be broadened at the expense of on-peak EIRP.

Joe Buch