From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Cuff
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 2:16 PM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] Fwd: Be first to hear BBC World Service's new
sound

"Lilli-whatever" has a martial, imperial history in its use on the WS,
and I am sure the thinking is purposefully to soften the sound
somewhat.

I would imagine focus group testing on this type of change must be
agonizing -- given the diversity of world cultures, how would one ever
reach consensus on the appropriate "sound" for the BBC?

I am not "right-brained" enough to be able to add value to that type
of process, I'm afraid...

Richard

On 9/20/07, Sandy Finlayson <sfinlayson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The new tones sound very 'vanilla' to me.  Gone are the days when the
> distinctive Lillibulero could be recognized as 'THE' BBC WS
identifier.

URL shown above.