From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:36 AM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: [Swprograms] So what are people listening to nowadays? And how
are you listening?

Interesting thread...

I had to stop and think about what I actually do instead of what I
think I do, if that makes any sense.

Most of my listening takes place in two venues:  the car and while
taking my daily morning "constitutional".  In the car, this means
Sirius Satellite Radio with WRN, CBC Radio One and the BBC (in that
order) the prime attractions.  When on foot (including weekly lawn
mowings), this means using an iPod to listen to podcasts.  I use
iTunes to subscribe to a series of programs from the BBC, CBC, ABC-
Australia, RTE, DW, RNZ, NPR/PRI, R. Netherlands, R. Sweden and a few
others.  More or less weekly, I revise the roster of programs that I
download packing the iPod (I own the smallest version) to the gills.
I also use this method to listen while flying or traveling by train.

Listening in the car ranges from roughly five to fifteen hours a week
(mostly commuting to work and back 1/2 hour each way).  iPod listening
fills about ten hours a week, increasing to fill the time I might
spend on a plane or in a train.

When around the house, I'll also use a CCrane FM transmitter to send
transmissions from a Sirius or XM receiver to a portable or fixed FM
radio set wherever I might be situated from time to time, including to
the bedside before going off the sleep or first thing in the morning
while dressing, etc.

A third method, which is more catch as catch can, is the tried and
true shortwave radio
and that listening is often less planned and more haphazard in a quest
for "serendipity"--i.e.: the chance I might hear something new and
unexpected.

Favorite listening in no particular order:  Anything/everything from
R. Netherlands, CBC Rewind (archival broadcasts featuring Peter
Gzowski especially favored), CBC Ideas, CBC The North This Week, CBC
The Maritimes This Week, "Dispatches", "Quirks and Quarks";
RTE's "Highway 101" and "Sunday Miscellany"; Radio Banns
International "Copenhagen Calling"(via WRN); "The Night
Air", "Background Briefing", "Late Night Live" with Phillip
Adams, "Media Report" and others depending on topic from ABC R.
National.

For some reason that I don't particularly understand myself, I seem to
be especially excited by the prospect of a portable (that is, battery
operated) internet radio from Tivoli this fall.  Conversely, even
though I know I can get anything that little device will be able to
get by just using my computer, I'm not all that motivated toward using
the computer in that fashion.  Go figure.

John Figliozzi

URL shown above.