Re: [Swprograms] Links for the Lost

To some extent, there is "local content" already -- Sirius, for
example, has 10 channels with continuous traffic and weather for the
20 most congested US cities.

What satellite radio won't provide are locally flavo(u)red talk and
sports programming.  The USA commercial radio dial has a blend of
nationally syndicated and local content, with the ratio gradually
increasing towards nationally syndicated programming.

Local traffic and weather are feasible (on Sirius anyway) because the
audio bandwidth consumed in each channel is quite narrow -- those
streams are "phone line" quality, but good enough for that purpose.

Most believe that terrestrial radio will survive -- the Wall Streel
Journal non-scientific web poll viewed radio as less likely to
disappear than newspapers or over-the-air television.

My two cents, as a general observer.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA