[IRCA] OT: RE: DXing

IRCA,
It doesn't take a village to make a hobby... like a fine wine, the fewer
bottles there are, the more valuable they become... and as long as there is
still one bottle.. there will always be one wine connoisseur... as long as
there is "one" listener to distant radio signals, there will always be a "DX
hobby."  The hobby is what you make it for yourself, not what a club makes
it, or by memberships.  The hobby is not defined by membership numbers
either... just recently my daughter, early twenties and a medical doctor,
was in Radio Shack when another woman customer was returning her Grundig
radio - a Christmas gift.  With the little DX experience she has, an
interest inherited from my own conversations over the years, she
single-handedly instructed the other woman how the SW bands work, and the
times they work...since the clerk admitted knowing "nothing" about the radio
(and was the one who directed her to my daughter).. and finally after the
"friendly" chat, the "woman" decided to keep the radio afterall.  If you are
going to "enjoy" anything in life. you might want to consider how you can
give and contribute to others, like giving time of yourself and give a talk
at a local school, library, or church function on the hobby.  It's clearly
obvious that radios are definately purchased each year in the
thousands...and never used; perhaps the problem is clubs become
self-focused.  If my daughter can do it, ten there's no excuse why DXers who
are pro's at this shouldn't be out there "giving" of themselves.  Clubs
comprised of "professionals" should be respected like the last bottle of
wine in existence - rare and valuable.

It doesn't take a village - just one person.  Likewaise, if I were a station
manager, I'd discard club letterhead... I enjoy when a recent "personal"
report to a station waranted a personal phonecall from the station's
owner... and may result in a QSL card for all to benefit from.

73s
Konnie