Re: [IRCA] eastern DX from Asia?

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 11:10 PM, Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> At 17:19 06-01-16, Bill wrote:
>> Not to complain, but my impression, from reading the Topband mail list, is that many of these guys are using pretty decent antennas for receiving AND are talking CW.  Tha's more antenna than I have on my tiny urban lot and working CW is about like me "seeing" a carrier. Wonder what they'd hear with a Wellbrook phased delta array on DSB?
>

> welll, CW is likely correct, but the equivalent for us would be hearing a beat note on a 1 kw station from over there (it wouldn't surprise me if some Asian countries' legal limit from a 160m amateur station is less than 1kw, but don't know).   Given that many target MW stations are 50kw and up, tack on another 3 S-units or more...of course, we have splatter to contend with, but an audible carrier shouldn't be impossible.   Then, one starts to DX, hi.

Remind me to tell you the story of tests we did on IBB transmissions from Tinian, comparing audibility of 250kW vs. 125kW.  Youâd be surprised how little one buys by doubling the power â and how many $$ can be saved by not!

> Antennas...the only ones mentioned seem to be suburban lot ones....here's one for you Bill:
>
>> Worked JD1BMH @1222Z in central VA w/ a K9AY loop recv ant and Coax Inv L for xmit/recv. 559 both ways. Hope that helps. - Alan K9MBQ
>
> You could pay him a visit, hi.

Not a bad idea.  Iâll see if I can find him.

Must be his K9AY works a lot better than one I tried here some years ago.

P.S.  Did I mention my ânoise floorâ on MW and 160 is something like -90dB most of the time, depending on which way the Wellbrook is âpointed?â  Thus the âneedâ for DXpeditions!