Re: [IRCA] IBOC battle begins

> Who am I to begrudge him a
> nice payoff on which he can take a well-deserved retirement?

I think Bob would be crazy not to sell for a pile of money if he
wants to sell. That said, Bob can't sell because his signal is being
impaired by WBZ. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against WBZ, and
you know how I feel about IBAC, but this is pretty simple property
law here. WYSL has had its ability to earn money harmed by another
entity, WBZ, Either WBZ should cease and desist or give compensation
for the damage to WYSL. There ain't nuthin' complicated there.

> What did the people of Taunton, Massachusetts get last week when their
> local WPEP 1570 handed back its license, after its owner was bought
> out
> to enable a power increase up the road at WNSH 1570 Beverly?

This has nothing to do with WBZ diminishing the worth of WYSL or its
ability to earn money. I hate to see WPEP go away since ABDX member
Jay Rogers works there, but businesses buy out businesses every day.
The FCC does have a say in this though but they haven't had much to
say about this kind of thing lately other than to rubber stamp it.

> Heck...what did the people who actually DID make an investment (or at
> least substantial donations) to keep noncommercial WMCU 89.7 Miami get
> back

They had lawsuits going at the public radio station in Detroit as
well over a format change from classical.

> The language of the Communications Act still says the airwaves are
> public property; the reality of the matter, at least in today's
> world of
> spectrum auctions and such, says otherwise.

This statement has become terribly prominent since 1996. Doesn't
matter whether its Rs or Ds in charge, the result is the same when it
comes to station ownership is involved. "The public be damned!"

Kevin