Re: [IRCA] IBOC battle begins

> Even WYSL, much as I admire Bob and his hard work, is mostly
> syndicated
> fare with little or no local content outside of drive time.

When it comes to the law, the programming is inconsequential. The
bottom line is that Bob at WYSL has had his ability to conduct
business and earn money diminished by WBZ and its IBOC sidebands.
Thats about as simple as it can be put.

> Do any of us, as DXers, spend any significant time actually
> LISTENING to
> distant programming these days for entertainment? I'm quite curious to
> hear answers to this question.

Yes. I listen to KGO every night to hear Bernie Ward and sometimes
Ray Taliferro. Until KNX turned on its adjacent channel killing IBAC,
I listened to "Texas Overnight" with Charlie Jones on KRLD and at
times would listen to the midnight replay of Giants baseball. There
is at least one of us.

> These, needless to say, are not the stations that would be bought into
> silence by any sort of interference-reduction scheme.

Well, I did listen to Dallas Stars hockey sometimes on WBAP but when
KGO and 830 in Orange County, CA has their adjacent channel death ray
on, I can't listen to that anymore and WBAP put in a big signal here
as did KRLD which is huge as well. Interference killed two big
signals here but the MONSTER signal that was killed here in AZ was
KOA when 860 KMVP went IBAC at night. No more Broncos football here
on a station that is almost local for me at night. Yeah, the
interference is bad enough to kill powerhouses.

As for stations buying out stations, its the way business is done
every day. I don't like it but its not uncommon. I hate to see small
towns lose their voice.

Kevin