Re: [IRCA] WOR and IBOC

Scott,

Fortunately I've never had the "pleasure" of driving around Manhattan or
Chicago's loop trying to listen to a.m. radio. ;)  I was not aware of the
issues of reception in Manhattan.  However, penetration of concrete
canyons was not the exclusive purpose of maximum power.  In the infancy of
MW broadcasting, every effort was made to cover as much territory as
possible with a stations' broadcast.  Hence the proliferation of the huge
Knox-Blaw towers among the 3 letter calls and the 500kW of "The Nation's
Station" WLW on 710.  Ironically,  one of the stations who cried "foul" the
loudest of WLW's signal even at 50kW was Tom Ray's station, WOR, 500 miles
away. http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/wlw.html
Even through this day, WSM and WSB are considered by many to be regionals
throughout the rural south. 740 CHWO prides itself on being heard up and
down the seaboard by "snowbirds".  Two years ago CHWO saluted its loyal dx
fanbase and celebrated it with a special event DX QSL card.  Rare is the
fall/winter/spring night that I can't pick it up here in SE GA on my xtl
set.

Back to WLW's history.  One of my favorite stories about the early days
involved jazz musician Thomas "Fats" Waller, a station employee.  Station
owner Mr. Crosley heard on the radio Fats playing jazz on the station's
famous Wurlitzer organ.  He fired him on the spot.  The tune?  "Ain't
Misbehavin".
73 Gil