Re: [IRCA] WOR and IBOC

Gil Stacy wrote:
> If WOR is only concerned with the "local" and not dx market, then why does
> it persist in using 50kW at night?  Wouldn't 5-10kW at night serve its local
> market?

I keep seeing this idea come up, and it's worth a response: no, 5 or 10
kW is no longer enough for a viable full-market AM signal in *any* large
city these days.

If you've never driven around midtown Manhattan or Chicago's Loop while
trying to listen to AM radio, this may not seem like an obvious concept.
If you have - and if you're seeing things from the station's
perspective, not a DX perspective - you'll start wondering why the FCC
doesn't authorize 100 or 250 kW on AM.

Particularly in New York, where ground conductivity is abysmally bad
(Manhattan is one big lump of solid rock, after all), 50 kW is barely
enough to overcome the combination of massive electrical noise and
steel-framed buildings that wreaks havoc with AM reception. Even so,
reception is highly variable. WCBS and WFAN, with their transmitter site
in Long Island Sound off the Bronx/Westchester line, are often
completely inaudible in a car driving around Manhattan's Upper West
Side, thanks to the almost nonexistent ground conductivity of northern
Manhattan. WQEW, with its Queens transmitter site, is even worse.

The same is true, on the opposite side, for most of the New Jersey-based
AMs (WOR, WABC, WINS, WEPN, WBBR) on the East Side of Manhattan.

And none of those stations does well at all in penetrating the
skyscrapers of Midtown or the Financial District. WOR probably does the
best at penetrating Lower Manhattan, thanks to a transmitter site
directly across the Hudson and the massive amount of RF it pumps out of
its directional array aimed east.

Dial the power back to 5 kW on any of those stations and they'd simply
disappear from the dial in large parts of the city, just as
lower-powered Jersey-sited stations like WNYC 820, WWRV 1330 and WZRC
1480 already do. Want to see the remaining successful AM stations go out
of business in a hurry? That would be a good place to start.

Even in smaller markets, it takes a lot of RF to give an AM station a
viable signal as communities keep sprawling and as the spectrum keeps
getting noisier. It's no coincidence that the markets where AM is now
least successful - think Atlanta or Washington, for instance, but also
places like Winston-Salem/Greensboro - are the same markets where there
are few (or even no) AM signals that are powerful enough to cover the
whole market. Conversely, markets such as San Francisco or Chicago, with
many high-power, well-sited AMs, still routinely have numerous AM
signals at or near the top of the ratings.

The fact that all that RF generates lots of skywave, in addition to the
desired powerful groundwave, is considered an unfortunate side effect by
many of today's engineers and the management above them. Too few of them
understand - as we DXers do - that long-range propagation is simply what
mediumwave RF does, by its nature, and that it can't be eliminated by
fiat...which is kind of how we ended up in this pickle now.