Re: [IRCA] A station with a legitimate complaint

Re: [IRCA] A station with a legitimate complaint

Scott,

  Their transmitter is obviously more than 22 miles away...I confused their location with the xmtr of KSCO.  Using the map you referenced, I am about 5 miles north of the red (local) line, at the top of the curve south of Sunnyvale.  They are pretty much gone here as of tonight.  I am well within the (distant) purple line on the map.  If the red line is the limit of what is supposed to be local coverage, they misjudged severly when they went Hindu on that station.  Virtually all of their audience is in the Bay Area, so if there's nothing they can do about impacted coverage, they may be a test case to see what happens their audience can only hear them when the sun's up.  They just might shrivel and die.

  Mike

Scott Fybush <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Michael Hawkins wrote:
> KOQI/1200/Soquel CA is the major source of Hindu programming in
> Monterey Bay and Santa Clara Valley. They are being taken out by
> KEX/1190 at 22 miles from their transmitter. They aren't a
> powerhouse but are usually clearly audible here.

If 1200 (I show KYAA as the current call) is getting wiped in the
Monterey Bay area, it may well have a case.

The Santa Clara Valley is well outside Soquel's nighttime
interference-free contour, and while the station may have enjoyed usable
coverage there, it would have a hard time making a case that any of that
coverage is legally protected from interference.

Here's another way to look at it: let's say, hypothetically, that a
station were to apply for a new analog signal on 1200 somewhere in the
San Francisco Bay Area. (This is not as far-fetched as it might seem; if
KNTS on 1220 didn't have its CP to go to 50 kW, it might have been
possible for KDYA on 1190 from Vallejo to move to 1200 and go
full-time.) That new station would have to protect Soquel's existing
nighttime interference-free contour, but could legally interfere with
Soquel anywhere else.

As long as the Soquel station wouldn't have a case against THAT sort of
interference - and there's decades of case law and FCC policy that says
it wouldn't - it probably wouldn't have a case against KEX, either, at
least where Santa Clara is concerned.

Monterey is a completely different kettle of fish, at least within
Soquel's interference-free zone, which is probably pretty small,
certainly smaller than the 2.5 mV/m "local" contour shown on the
radio-locator.com map, which encompasses pretty much all the Monterey
Bay area.

It's the stations that came to the air late in the game like Soquel, or
like my own semi-local WYSL 1040 here in upstate New York, that are
likely to have the most to lose from night IBOC as a result.