Re: [IRCA] A station with a legitimate complaint

Michael Hawkins wrote:

> Their transmitter is obviously more than 22 miles away...I confused
> their location with the xmtr of KSCO.  Using the map you referenced,
> I am about 5 miles north of the red (local) line, at the top of the
> curve south of Sunnyvale.  They are pretty much gone here as of
> tonight.  I am well within the (distant) purple line on the map.  If
> the red line is the limit of what is supposed to be local coverage,
> they misjudged severly when they went Hindu on that station.
> Virtually all of their audience is in the Bay Area, so if there's
> nothing they can do about impacted coverage, they may be a test case
> to see what happens their audience can only hear them when the sun's
> up.  They just might shrivel and die.

Or at least change formats...

There will definitely be a reckoning coming for stations like KYAA that
were trying to survive on unprotected coverage. It's far from the only
station for which that's true.

I don't know that I'd say KYAA "misjudged severely," since it sounds
like absent KEX's IBOC, the 1200 signal was able to take advantage of an
otherwise nicely quiet channel to reach that Bay Area audience.

There's nothing wrong with that, as long as it lasted - it just wasn't
protected coverage, and was susceptible to new interference from
multiple sources. (Indeed, it would have taken a hit pretty soon when
KNTS went 50 kW fulltime on 1220, IBOC or not.)

If the audience is big enough, and wants to hear their programming badly
enough, maybe they can find a more suitable signal to buy or lease
closer to their target listenership.