Re: [IRCA] To Les-- (Semi-Monthly QSL Rant)

--- Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And now to clarify the whole issue a bit:
>
> 1. The reason that I won't pass the QSL torch just yet is the need to
>
> build confidence in these types of QSL's. Michael Procop (and quite a
>
> few others) have expressed that they do not consider QSL cards issued
>
> by the NRC/IRCA to be valid (or as valid) as one issued
> from the stations directly.
>
> For the record, I won't accept any report and in fact, have rejected
>
> several that were incomplete, lacking in detail or obviously just
> false. I listen carefully to each recording and when there is doubt,
>
> I've set up a system of "checks and balances" where my decision can
> be reviewed by volunteer Brandon Jordan.
>
> By doing so, I hope to make these QSL's seen as "valid" by those who
>
> collect verifications. In order to build that trust, I feel I need to
>
> maintain the quality control for now.

*** I have one more, probably repeat rant here. I've already emphasized
that the industry isn't as it was long ago, and QSL's are harder to
come by. But some folks seem to want to have their cake and eat it too.
If it comes to it, do you want a QSL or not ? If you're going to put
all of these conditions on it, you'll have a lot less of them because
more and more it's going to be volunteers.

QSL Managers are good enough for many hams for decades, and many of us
are hams. I know darned well that if a fellow hobbyist, and one who
takes this responsibility seriously - be it Les or Brandon or someone
else - is scrutinizing my report, I probably have a higher degree of
confidence that my report was carefully evaluated and found to be good
than I do in some of those I've received in the past from stations.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id