Re: [IRCA] To Les-- (Semi-Monthly QSL Rant)

Re: [IRCA] To Les-- (Semi-Monthly QSL Rant)

I didn't mean to stir up all of this controversy again. We all went
through this same subject months ago. I was just echoing some of the
frustrations pointed out by Willis.

Les, please do not feel bad for my situation. As Russ said, if it were
that important to me I should find a way to make it happen. My deference
to sending you my cassette recordings has been in appreciation for all
of your efforts by not adding to your burden. And let me clarify that I
was NOT offering to take over your job. I would not take on that task. I
hope that you continue doing what you are doing for the DX community
forever. I was only offering my help if there is anything that I could
do to ease your load.

I am not totally destitute on the computer scene. I do have a PC with an
MSN setup very similar to what Patrick Martin has except that mine uses
a 400k wireless Internet connection. I'm a holdout to the limitations of
WebTV with a 56K dialup connection only because it houses my web sites
for free and it is very convenient since it lets me multi-task. I can
use picture-in-picture mode to watch TV and work on the Internet
simultaneously from the comfort of my couch through a wireless keyboard.
Frequently that is the only opportunity I have to watch the local news.
I basically work two full time jobs as a contract broadcast technician
(my ego isn't big enough to call myself an engineer) and as an evening
and weekend board operator for three radio stations. WebTV allows me to
expand my very limited personal time by doing two things at once.

I do know how to get audio out of my PC. But I don't know how to put it
in. For that matter I have the WebTV Plus version which is setup to send
and receive both video and audio. I routinely send pictures over it by
plugging my camera directly into it and using that as the source. But I
have never experimented with sending audio. If I had another cassette
deck to use as a source I might be able to play cassettes directly into
the WebTV and send audio as an attachment. I will look into that. I also
have an early model of a Philips stand alone CD recorder that I have
rarely used since it is somewhat complex and fussy. I may experiment
with that as well. My problem now is finding the time for that kind of
experimentation.

Thanks again Les for being so cordial in your response. And thanks to
Patrick Martin for your offer of assistance. As it has been said before,
we all need to remember that this is just a nice relaxing hobby.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/