Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] US AM mysteries

--- saulamdx <saulamdx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks to those who have commented on my Cuban logs. I
> will review these later tonight. Here are some U.S.
> mysteries. Mostly me wondering if stations are truly
> off for good, but a couple whodunits in here, too:
>
> 1350 WHWH NJ Princeton ? Reported silent 6 April 2006.
> Gone for good?

*** Gone until/unless the FCC removes the requirement for stations
moving to the X-band ( 1680 in this case ) to sell out or go dark.

> 1380 WAWZ NJ Zarephath and WKDM NY New York City ?
> I?ve logged both. Did WAWZ move from Jersey to NYC,
> making these one and the same?

*** WAWZ-AM went silent some years back. I believe the owners of WKDM
bought the license for that purpose. WAWZ was owned and operated by a
small religious college, Alma White College, which retained the FM at
the time.

> 1480 WISL PA Shamokin ? Reported silent 31 Dec 2003.
> Gone for good?

*** I think this one was recently reported again. My understanding is
that this comes back on every now and then to keep the license warm.

> 1550 WSHN OH Warren ? I have a listing in my log for
> this, and notation that it has since either signed off
> or moved to 1570 (which now hosts WANR Warren OH).
> Interestingly, there is now a WSHN in Fremont MI on
> 1550. Was Warren indeed on 1550 and did it simply
> disappear or move to 1570? Was there ever a station in
> Warren on 1550?

*** Warren has had 1570 since 1971, so I dount there was a 1550.

> 1560 KQYX MO Joplin ? Logged years ago. Now I see the
> calls are WMBH and the power is 250 watts. Was the
> power ever higher? Can only wonder why it has W calls.

*** WMBH was used in Illionois on another frequency previously. 1560
Joplin has changed hands a couple of times recently. i don't know if a
former owner of WMBH-IL may now own the Joplin facility.

> 1570 WPEP MA Taunton ? I recall talk that this was
> off-air or soon to be going off.

*** It hasn't yet done so.

> 1580 WVKO OH Columbus ? Reported silent 5 May 2006.
> Gone for good?

*** Too soon to tell - they have a few months to get back on.

> 1690 WTEL GA Adel moved to Avondale Estates and became
> WMLB. The communities are a 200 drive from
> one-another. I generally keep to a 50-mile rule for
> counting new stations. How are others handling this
> change?

*** Counted as two different stations here.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id