Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] US AM mysteries

Russ Edmunds wrote:

>> 1350 WHWH NJ Princeton – Reported silent 6 April 2006.
>> Gone for good?
>
> *** Gone until/unless the FCC removes the requirement for stations
> moving to the X-band ( 1680 in this case ) to sell out or go dark.

As Groucho alluded to, there's currently legal action in front of the
FCC to restore the licenses for the sister stations that have gone dark,
so don't count WHWH out yet.

>> 1380 WAWZ NJ Zarephath and WKDM NY New York City –
>> I’ve logged both. Did WAWZ move from Jersey to NYC,
>> making these one and the same?
>
> *** WAWZ-AM went silent some years back. I believe the owners of WKDM
> bought the license for that purpose. WAWZ was owned and operated by a
> small religious college, Alma White College, which retained the FM at
> the time.

The authoritative "Airwaves of New York" says WAWZ(AM) went silent 1
September 1984, the same day WBNX New York became WKDM, so in a sense
you can say it was the next-to-last of the New York sharetime AMs to be
consolidated. (The 1330s were the last to be consolidated, in August
1989, when WNYM and WPOW merged into WWRV.)

>> 1480 WISL PA Shamokin – Reported silent 31 Dec 2003.
>> Gone for good?

Yes. Deleted from FCC records and dead as a doornail.

> *** I think this one was recently reported again. My understanding is
> that this comes back on every now and then to keep the license warm.
>
>> 1550 WSHN OH Warren – I have a listing in my log for
>> this, and notation that it has since either signed off
>> or moved to 1570 (which now hosts WANR Warren OH).
>> Interestingly, there is now a WSHN in Fremont MI on
>> 1550. Was Warren indeed on 1550 and did it simply
>> disappear or move to 1570? Was there ever a station in
>> Warren on 1550?
>
> *** Warren has had 1570 since 1971, so I dount there was a 1550.

I'm guessing this was a crossed wire somewhere in Saul's recordkeeping.
Warren cannot have had a 1550, since it's right next door to Niles,
which has had a 1540 since 1963. And before that, WHOT Campbell OH was
on 1570 (it moved to 1330 in 1963, clearing the way for Niles on 1540
and eventually for Warren on 1570.)

>> 1560 KQYX MO Joplin – Logged years ago. Now I see the
>> calls are WMBH and the power is 250 watts. Was the
>> power ever higher? Can only wonder why it has W calls.
>
> *** WMBH was used in Illionois on another frequency previously. 1560
> Joplin has changed hands a couple of times recently. i don't know if a
> former owner of WMBH-IL may now own the Joplin facility.

The WMBH calls have been in Joplin since 1928, when the W/K line was
still along the state's western border (which explains WDAF, for
instance). My 1965 Broadcasting Yearbook has WMBH on its original home
at 1450 and KQYX as a 250-watt daytimer on 1560. The calls swapped on
July 25, 2001.

>> 1690 WTEL GA Adel moved to Avondale Estates and became
>> WMLB. The communities are a 200 drive from
>> one-another. I generally keep to a 50-mile rule for
>> counting new stations. How are others handling this
>> change?
>
> *** Counted as two different stations here.

Absolutely agreed. That move was a "major change" in every sense of the
word. Adel is down near Valdosta at the southern edge of the state, not
far from the Florida border.