Re: [IRCA] OT UHF Yagis

I live on the Northern Oregon Coast as many of you know and I am trying
to receive some translators 25-30 miles away...

The antenna you have does look good. Karl recommended the 8-bay antenna which is also very good. I've used that 8-bay on my tower since TV went digital. It's aimed at Boston stations around 40 miles away, and the local stations are 90 degrees off the side of the antenna. Boston stations read over 90 percent on the receiver, yet the local stations which are two miles away off to the side are slightly lower. That antenna is very directional. Channel Master CM-7777 is about the best preamp.

What I would do is move the antenna around to see if there is a sweet spot. Would also get a 20' pipe of the largest diameter that the antenna will mount and guy wire it. Height makes a difference, and a length of pipe would stand up to your 100mph wind.

Do you get different reception in winter vs. summer? Leaves can absorb signal.

So far the best receiver I've had for TV is the current TiVo unit. Tried a few others including a rather expensive PHD-8VX. It was almost as good as TiVo.

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd8vxmain.htm

Back in the 1950's a person in NY state had a similar problem as you do, a hill in the way. What he did was made a rhombic antenna on that hill aimed to New York City and connected directly to another rhombic aimed to him. That was a passive reflector and allowed him to receive TV. Kind of a cool trick.

Hope you can improve your TV reception.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI