From: Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [IRCA] IRCA convention photos
Date: Saturday, 25 June, 2011, 18:09

Barry,

I have a friend that is 58 and he has not listened to MW (AM) for
decades. He listens to the radio rarely and when he does, it is FM. He
cannot understand my interest in AM. He does not know about HD AM
(IBOC), never heard of it, until I mentioned it. What amazes me about
AM, is there are still so many new stations always coming on the air.
Why? If no one is listening. Then we see lists of stations that are
silent and many never return. I know 4 kids that go to our church, 2
boys that are about to turn 16, their sister who is 17, and their friend
who just turned 18. I have talked to them about radio. They give me
blank stares. Radio? That is what our grandparents listen to. In their
comment.  By the way, their grandparents are younger than I am! I know
their grandmother who is 53 and she listens to FM once in a while! I
have an idea that when our generation is gone, AM will be gone for the
most part. Oh there might be some 50KW clears running around, but most
everyone under 30 has an Ipod, etc. They could care less about radio. TV
they know, but it is HD this and HD that. I see Netflix (movie rentals)
is moving to more streaming video, so within a few years, renting that
blockbuster hit will be history on a disc too. Records made way for CDs
an they are also on their way out. Everything is on hard drives.  Is
radio any different.  Even QSLs are on their way out. I never thought I
would see that day on if you could get a QSL, most are e mails these
days. Stations don't even have letterhead. Next year I will be at the
dials for 50 years. I started in Seward AK at 13 in 1962. Boy has things
changed.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin