From: Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: irca <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; am <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jun 24, 2011 8:27 pm
Subject: [NRC-AM] Need help with noise issue

As any of you know, I have lived out here on the Oregon Coast for most
of my life and at this QTH, for the past 30 years,  my noise level has
been almost zero most of the time. Well, earlier this week, I got home
and was turning across the band with a portable and it was wall to wall
buzz. I immediately went to the R8 and low and behold the noise was also
present there, but not as bad. All of my antennas get the noise, the
Eastern Beverage much less. Okey, I did a bit of checking and my
neighbor,  2 houses down has a new light in his carport is setup on a
motion sensor. I think his old one was also that way, but it never
caused noise. This is just a guess, unless he added something inside,
but this is out in the open easy to see.  Do the newer motion sensor
cause this kind of buzz? If so, is there anything I can do about it? Do
they make ones with filtering that do not cause noise?  Again, this is
just an educated guess and I have not contacted him as yet. The guy is
92 and has his house on the market, but this unit is permanent and when
he sells the house, that is included I am sure.
  A couple other questions. I can go throughout my house and the noise
is horrible on a portable. I like to lay in bed and listen to KGO, KKOH,
etc and I now have a buzz behind those signals at night. The noise it
extremely loud by my electric meter so it is radiating through our
underground powerlines. Is there any filtering I can get installed at my
meter or powerbox to filter noise coming down the line? Seems to me, I
have read about some filtering and does it work?
  When I pull out of my driveway in the van, 10 feet away from the
house, the noise drops out very quickly, as I get away from the house,
it drops even more.  so the big issue is the radiation through the
powerlines I believe. By the time I get in front of my neighbors house
that has the motion unit, I don't get much of it, but I am away from the
powerlines.
 My next issue is to replace my RG6 with Quad RG6 and that may help.
  Any suggestions?
Thanks.

73,

Patrick