[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 6, 2010

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 6, 2010

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** JAPAN [and non]. TP carrier search Nov 6 from 1235 in USB mode upward on the DX-398 was quite fruitful if barely audible: 558, 567, 576, 585, 594, 693, 702, 747, 756, 774, 828, 918, 945, 972, 1044, 1053, 1062, 1116, 1134, 1422. I paused at 1237 on 774 since it was strongest, and on AM some talk audio was making it. Altho I could not be positive it was Japanese, doubtless JOUB, Akita 2 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, Nov 6 at 1233 UT promo mentions 1,110 AM, bicentenario, and R. Red, 6:33 timecheck, Tiempo del Centro de México. Therefore this must be XEDKR, 1 kW in Guadalajara, the only Radio Red affiliate listed in WRTH, relaying the network from XERED 1110 in the DF.

1050, Nov 6 at 1302, choral Mexican NA is in progress. It has several false stops, then another stanza starts. Finally finishes almost at 1306 and partial ID heard as ``Radio Siglo Veintiuno . . . 10-50 AM``, right into ranchera music. From the timing, I figured it was XED Mexicali as heard a few days ago, and WRTH 2010 confirms one of its slogans is Radio Siglo XXI. Being a border city, it goes along with Alta California in DST dates, so from Nov 7 it`ll be playing the anthem at 1400 UT, 6 a.m. local PST, whether or not it`s really on the air all-night.

1300, Nov 6 at 1249 UT, correspondent outros as with ``Radio México Noticias``, later anchor mentions ``aquí en Ciudad Juárez`` in item about electricity rates. So it`s XEP, the 50 kW probably on daytime facilities already (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 3160, WPJK, Nov 6 at 1145 already on with gospel song, 1149 ID in passing, music announcement, ad for something with phone and address in Orangeburg SC; fair signal. So WPJK 1580 plus 3160 harmonic is on the air at least 15 minutes before legal sunrise in November at 1200 UT, presumably as early as 1130 or whenever the morning DJ gets there.

If the concept of DST vs. ST is foreign to them, as well as the concept of changing sign-on times on the first day of each month as a licensed daytimer, what will happen on Nov 7 when protracted DST is over and local time becomes UT -5 instead of UT -4? Could be they will continue signing on at 7:30 am local instead of 7 am, but then it will be 1230 UT. Today I recheck at 1230 and it is still audible, poorly, so we should be able to tell if it is signing on then, making it legal tho a semihour later than necessary (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 670, Nov 6 at 1255 UT, quick ID as KWXI, AM 670, and on FM 98.9, promo for a new show starting Monday morning. Is 5 kW daytimer in Glenwood AR. November sunrise is 1245; December 1315 UT. Website http://kwxi.net/ also shows FM 98.9, but FM Atlas XXI frequency reference has only one 98.9 in the state, at Rison, without full data yet; that`s south of Little Rock beyond Pine Bluff, while Greenwood is just east of Fort Smith on the west side. So where is this 98.9, really? The only 98.9 across the border in OK is KYIS in OKC, so can`t be that. FCC FM Query finds K225BH in Glenwood, 250 watt translator. It`s not on the FM Atlas map, but appears in its Arkansas translator listing, except the primary is shown as KQUS 97.5. FCC could not care less what the primary of a translator may be, i.e. what station people really hear on it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, on caradio, more than two sesquihours after local sunrise at 1300 UT, Nov 6 at 1610 I am getting play-by-play of a stupid football game, very weak but steady signal. Can`t catch a team name or local ad, ID; checked again at 1648, and still there. Likely WCCO Minneapolis, which at 600+ miles is at that awkward distance, barely possible by Great Plains groundwave under optimum conditions, but also with lowering sun, residual daytime skywave. I think it is the latter.

Later checking http://wcco.cbslocal.com whether they have a game on, it`s hard to tell --- all kinds of stuff on the website, but no program schedule! Nor schedule of sports specials. However, they have linx to Twitters during past hour on progress of a game between the Gophers and Michigan State football. That`s awfully early for a ball game, well underway before noon local, but maybe avoiding the competition of more important clashes in the afternoon. I click on Listen to AM 830 and instead I get KROQ! Which is an FM rocker in Pasadena CA. What`s with that?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###