[IRCA] I've Got to Find A Better Method!

[IRCA] I've Got to Find A Better Method!

I must have really been stressed out this week!  I woke up this morning
(Saturday, Nov 6th, 2010) at 4:00 AM, thinking it was a work day with a 6:00 AM
teleconference!!  I was halfway down the hallway, headed toward the shower, when
I had that Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment and realized that it was Saturday.  Wow!

Anyway, when I got back to bed, I was having trouble getting back to sleep, so I
picked up my DT-400W and earbuds off of the nightstand by my side of the bed and
started tuning around.

I was amazed at the difference in the sound of the band at 4:30 AM CDT (0930
GMT) as compared to when I usually DX, which is around 11:30 PM CDT (0430 GMT)!
Mexican stations which are just barely audible under the jumble at the later
time were booming in, some sounding like they were locals!

Of course, with my wife asleep next to me, I really couldn't turn on a light and
jot down station details, so I thought I'd be "cool" and just remember stations,
frequencies, and times so that when I got up later on, I could write them all
down in my logbook.

NOT COOL!

I must have been sleepier than I thought I was.  All of those exotic XE and
Cuban stations that I heard and tried to remember have now faded into a
conglomeration of "La Buenas," "Noticias," "Equis Eh Something," and what-not.

I seem to remember listening to Cuba's "Radio Rebelde" on 720 kHz, dominating
over Chicago's "WGN" around the 6:00 AM CDT (1100 GMT) TOH timeframe.  I also
remember hearing Cuba's "Radio Enciclopedia" on 530 kHz with a very good signal
around 5:30 AM CDT (1030 GMT).

I've got to find a better method for nighttime (i.e., "bedside") DX'ing!!

A very "sleepy" 73,

Stephen H. Ponder, N5WBI
"Many great deeds are performed in the small
struggles of life." - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
Houston, Texas, USA - EL29kn
E-Mail: stephen_ponder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx