Re: [IRCA] (OT) Re: Wi-Fi legality

Kevin,

I have three computers! I use them sparingly because of the issue of the
virus issues, and other things. Web TV will still be around for sometime
as there are still a lot of people that use it.I have MSN for my dial up
ISP. I have since 2005, but I still like the convienence of Web TV,
sitting in the den across the room typing with an infered keyboard. I am
spoiled. I can watch TV out of the corner of my eye if I want.
I do have an issue with the high speed internet here as you have read. I
am the type, if I did not have a business to run and had lots of money,
I could see me out on an island DXing the rest of my life. Sure, the
computer is enjoyable, but the DXing hobby is more important. After Bob
died, I did (still do) have is Toshiba laptop (Windows 95), but I never
used it. My friend in Korea  is a contract engineer for the US Gov, sent
me two computers. I doubt I would have bought one on my own. I have
thought about it several times, but with Web TV, I had pretty much what
I wanted. I spent money on Satellite receivers and other DX related
stuff. I do record a lot of TV shows and old movies on DVD and the
computer, I can easily make a copy for a friend, so I use the computer
for that. I can copy a DVD from one DVD recorder to another, but the
computer is faster. So, it does have its uses. You Tube can be fun. I
found a lot of old TV fare on there. The DX sites are great, but even
with Virus protection, I am always concerned about things. Web TV has no
hard drive, so no virus issues. Gives me peace of mind. I can do 90% on
Web TV that I need to. Sometimes I don't turn the computer for days. I
may feel different someday, but at long as the computer has constant
crooks trying to break into them worldwide, I probably will pretty much
stay the same.  I know of many many people, DXers included that never
have owned a computer and never will. Around here, there are probably a
half a dozen within a few miles. That is one reason there is no DSL

Patrick.

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager