Re: [IRCA] Orcas Is. TPs: Nov 7th.... Fabulous!

At 10:31 AM 11/7/2008, you wrote:
>It was another wonderful late Fall Season morning.  Where is everybody?  Are Dennis and I the only ones experiencing this fabulousness???  Walter, is there a population explosion in Victoria?  How about Guy and Gary?  Bruce??  Kevin S? I know that The Nick is on the East Coast and even more silent than usual from there, but.... Steve R??  Hey, they are receiving Japan in Oklahoma on Ultralights.... and those signals pass right thru our antennas here in Puget Sound.... we are on the same Great Circle bearing....  How 'bout firing up those Perseus recording radios??? This stuff probably isn't going to last more than another couple of weeks.... and then the dreaded Winter Anomaly descends upon us.
>
>An hour before LSR, the bottom half of the dial was full, except for 6 channels, and (an hour before dawn) a lot of them were very loud, including some of the Chinese. Two of the low band Mayaks were in; KJNO dominated the Seattle religious flamer all morning (with some help from the Wellbrook). 909 early was Japan and late was CC, I think the Taiwan CNR6 outta Fujian Province. 1026, Beijing Public Radio was smokin' all morning  .
>
>By dawn most things were down some, but strangely, a few odd Japanese had appeared. The best was a probable 765 YBS Synchros out of Yamanashi Prefecture. There were definite echos and a Japanese broadcast.... the only choice, really, is YBS in the mountains near Mt. Fuji... a 5 kw. and 2 repeaters at 100 watts!!!  There just wasn't enough to send a tentative report, but I'm sure gonna be watching 765.
>
>Anyway, it was awfully nice and starts being DXable VERY early, for those of you who have to do morning commutes. No sign of AIR Nagpur-1566, YET!
>

>John B.
>Orcas Island, WA, USA
>Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
>Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
>Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest

John, you were correct.....I just finished 7 days of obstetrical call earlier in the week, and finished with 3 deliveries over a short period of time, none of which were easy affairs.  On top of that, my wife has just returned from Mexico, and I had a computer and secretarial failure at the office....all added up to getting up earlier than usual, and heading to the office to trouble shoot, etc.  However, I did listen this morning between 14:35 and 15:05 and was pleasantly surprised to what I heard, especially on the upper half of the band.  I began at 1575 and worked down.  VOA Thailand was in at a 9.  All sorts of "5s" in the upper half.  As for audio, from the top down, here's what was heard, with "6" unless otherwise noted:

1575:  9
1566:  7   HLAZ
1557
1539:  Blocked by IBOC.  John B. asked about IBOC interference.  I made it a point to listen, but honestly didn't hear much of it....likely because it was a little later than usual, so most had faded away.  IBOC, though, doesn't seem to be that big of a problem for me in Victoria.
1422
1377:  NHK2 at 7
1305:  7
1287, 1269, 1251
1242:  7
1206:  Yanbian in KK at 14:49 at 8
1143:  7
1134:  7
1116:  music program at 14:50 at 7.  NOt sure who.
1044:  7
1017:  Who's here with a language lesson at 14:53?  I've heard them a few times.  7 level.  Not a NHK2 station.
1008
972:  KK and a cochannel for a change at 7.
963:  7 level EZL music
927
918:  Shandong with echo at 15:02 at 8 level.
864, 855, 846
837:  8 level  CC station, but not CNR1.  Time pips were about 10 seconds late at 15:00.  Cochannel CNR1 weakly heard as well.
828:  NHK2 at 8
774:  NHK2 at 8
747:  NHK2 at 8
738:  7
585
567:  7 level at 15:05
558:  7

Didn't go into the LW, nor X-band as I was late already for work.  Help with the 1017 language lesson please!    73s until tomorrow, although I'm not holding my breath with the rising A/K indices...........Walt.