[IRCA] DXing East Asia in the Heartland

As you may know, Richard Allen of north central Oklahoma has recently received Japan on at least two occasions on a BAREFOOT ULTRALIGHT! Receiving East Asia on MW in the Heartland is not unheard of, though it is rarely reported and the receptions on a hand-held ultralight transistor radio simply must be unique. East Asian DX in the Heartland is rarely reported, I'm convinced, primarily because very few people even try for it occasionally. More of us on the Prairie are aware of the possibilities of TA DX from Europe and North Africa in early to mid-evening during the Fall Seasion... hence we try for it and occasionally report it.

I think that it is fairly possible that East Asian DX is available in the central US during this part of the Fall Season during all but the worst propagational years. I'm also coming to think that the most reliable part of the year to try for such East Asian DX is RIGHT NOW, when here in Washington state the Japanese tend to peak a full hour before our local dawn... That would be peaking around 1400 UTC or a bit earlier, rather than, classically at our dawn around 1500 or later. Right now, China and the Koreas are USUALLY peaking around 1500 here. With the current sunrise in Oklahoma at about 1300, the early peak of the Japanese here may relate to Richard's success.

In hopes that a few of you folks in the center of the continent will give the TPs a try this weekend or in the coming week, here is a cheat sheet for the strongest of the East Asians, rated from A+ being "the best" to D- being "worth trying but don't hope too much":

531 Japan NHK1 C
594 Japan NHK1 A-
666 Japan NHK1 C
693 Japan NHK2 A-
747 Japan NHK2 A
774 Japan NHK2 A+
828 Japan NHK2 A
873 Japan NHK2 C
945 China CNR1 C
963 China CRI Russian Service B
972 South Korea B
1017 China CRI Korean Service C
1206(low) China "local" Korean Svc C
1377 China CNR1 C
1475 Malaysia's Tagalog Propaganda Station on North Borneo (yes, 1475) D-
1566 South Korea HLAZ, Christian broadcaster FEBC in various languages B-
1575 Thailand V. of America megawatt blaster B-

If you want to try for North Korea, they mostly play western orchestral martial music and are usually off frequency enough to really mess up a channel and reduce your chances of actually hearing anything intelligible. the best frequencies, all D-, are 657, 819 and 855.

Good luck.... and by the way, the NHK stations are all excellent QSLers. The CNR and CRI stations should be reported to the proper address in Beijing and have been good QSLers, though that MAY have changed recently.

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________