Re: [IRCA] Stopping HD Radio

On Friday 28 September 2007 07:27, Karl J. Zuk wrote:
> Barry
>
> "the digital sidebands of adjacent channel
> do not overlap," ????
>
> Where do you live? We would all like to know!
> We would love to hear silence!

You're misinterpreting what I said.  I was referring only to the
performance of the digital signal, when tuned with an "HD" receiver,
not what you hear with an analog receiver.  The key to decoding
digital is the primary digital sidebands.  If a 1st adjacent station is
running IBOC, its primary digital sideband does not fall on top of
either of the primary digital sidebands of the station you're trying to
decode.  It's the analog signal from that 1st adjacent that is preventing
you from decoding the digital, and whether the 1st adjacent is running IBOC
makes little or no difference.  If you look at the Figure 2, p.16 of this
report: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a6393 it will make this clearer.

The only point I was making is that IBOC stations will generally have lousy
digital coverage at night, no matter where they are on the dial and no matter
what the adjacent channel stations are doing.

> You should hear what three layers of digital hash sound
> like when they mix and phase together.
> It sounds like a large train coming through your radio!
> Visit the east coast of America. You'll see what we mean.

I know exactly what you mean, believe me.  I don't live in the Arctic
somewhere. :-)

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON