Re: [IRCA] IRCA re St. Isidore

Hi Chris:

Yeah I am a ways up there. According to my GPS I'm at 56' 11"N and 117'
08"W. I don't actually live in the village of St Isidore, I just use it for
my mail box. I live on 5 acres about 2 miles to the SW. Unfortunately Google
Earth's HiRes area ends about a mile west of my place. You can see my
neighbours home quite clearly, whereas mine is just a blob tho my dugout
shows up quite well. My nearest neighbour is ½ mile to the north of here.

It's not as good a location as you would think for antennas. I'm surrounded
by fields which are cultivated so anything permanent is out of the question.
During the winter snowmobilers abound (plus moose and deer) so anything laid
on the ground or above it is short lived. There are 2 roads here, N/S past
my place, and east of it, following these is no good either because they
both have power lines which carry very high noise levels. I've tried
temporary BOG's in other directions out as far as 2400', but each time I put
one out it was almost deaf, so I've quit using them. The only direction I
can put out anything permanent is to the west. The southern edge of my
property has a road right-of-way bordering it, and is unlikely to be used
for a road anytime soon. Plus it is treed. So I have a wire heading west for
1000+ feet. It works well. Sometimes it's the only antenna on which I can
hear TA's. So I'm limited to this wire, my 300' longwire to the north, my 2
EWE's and my vertical.

I also have a second problem called CKYL! Their 3 towers are just over a
mile from here. Fortunately they're only 10kW (thank goodness) but they slop
big time, so DX'ing between 590 and 630kHz is next to impossible. High
signal levels, like I get from the 1000' wire, tend to cause numerous images
if I'm not careful.

I moved here after I retired almost 10 years ago. Before that I lived in Fox
Creek which is about 120 miles south of here. That's where I had room for
very long antennas as the surrounding countryside was just bush. And
fortunately it was crisscrossed by seismic lines in all directions where I
could string out long wires. My longest, and best antenna there, was a wire
that was around 2400' long pointing NE/SW. Europe off the NE end, and DU of
the other, plus daytimers from CA, OR and WA. I originate from Southern
England and moved to Canada 31 years ago. My wife was born and raised in
Peace River, which is why we're where we are.

Never been to Iowa, though I've been next door into both Minneesota and
Missouri. Exactly where are you located? And what do you do there?

Take care.

Mike