Re: [IRCA] New Member Questions

As a relative newcomer to the list, from Europe, I notice that many of
you report TP hets.

Do many of you use Spectrum Laboratory?

Here's my SpecLab plot of the carrier from 1400 CBA in Gander, NF made
this evening.

http://paulc.mwcircle.org/speccba.jpg

CBA is a good station to select since a) for a North American station,
it is as close to here as you can get and b) you can't mistake CBA's
carrier for another one because it is relatively high - a good 11 Hz
above the nominal 1400 kHZ.

A brief explanation to those unused to Spectrum Laboratory

The red trace shows the 'noise' level on the frequency
The green trace shows the strength of the CBA carrier
The yellow shows the frequency of the carrier (Hz above the nominal 1400
kHz). The random points at the start of the plot show a carrier is not
being received.  This is also indicated by the fact that the 'noise' and
the strength of the signal where the CBA carrier should be are equal.

You will see that I start to pick up the CBA carrier at around 1635 UTC,
although the yellow trace shows that it is just doing enough to leave a
mark at the correct frequency as early as 1620 UTC.

Sunset here was 1618 UTC whilst sunset at Gander was at 2001 UTC. In
otherwords the signal from Gander reaches here just as the sun sets here.

Paul
Troon, Scotland