Re: [IRCA] QSLing

As an avid QSL collector I will put in my comments.

Times have changed since I started in the 1970's. It's tougher to get a QSL.
I work hard at it and I get about 75% return but it takes follow ups. I
prefer a response direct from the station but if someone has been given the
job that doesn't work there I count it. The question would be, how do they
check it against the station log? I ask, how many really do check it? I know
some do as I have received copies of the log with my QSLs. Another question
is fakes. If a station had a card and other DXers have them, it's harder to
make a fake. It was also harder to fake their stationary. Emails can be
faked and email cards can be "acquired" without reports. I just received a
prepared postcard that didn't get stamped by the PO (and this isn't the
first one). Who's to say I didn't get a friend to sign it and give it to me?
With the current state of QSLing, you need to be more lenient on what you
count or you will get frustrated. You also need to be more inovative. My
prepared cards are about equal with my letters for the past three years.
Very few email veries and only a couple cards sent by the stations. Do
whatever gives you the pleasure that keeps your interest in the hobby and
remember this when you look at other DXers verie collections.

Martin Foltz
Mission Viejo CA
slowly trying to catch up with Patrick