Re: [IRCA] Decent but varied cx tonite

On Monday 09 October 2006 00:50, Neil Kazaross wrote:
> Some interesting stuff in tonite but nothing new. Decent to Alberta..with
> Cool 880 Edmonton (Oldies) about the best ever heard. Rather rare CBX 740
> in there with CWHO phased at times weak and // 1010 and 540. Only bits of
> BC on 1130 since KWKH is really strong (day pattern ?)

My assessment of last night as well - good, but not great.  I did hear KOFI
1180 very briefly, just before their pattern change at 2045.  This is always
a good sign, especially this early in the month.

I've never heard CBX from here, even during the period when there was no
Toronto 740, but conditions are better these days, and I'll be trying them
again this month... especially since CBX is in my old home town!

I also noticed KWKH unusually strong the night before last, so I gave up the
hunt for CKWX - added to major pests WBBR and WDFN, it's a bit much.

> 790 KXXX Colby KS(C&W Your brand of country) likely on day power and and
> quite strong. KTNN 660 still on day power once again and at times I need to
> phase it to hear much from WFAN !! Some BC at times u/WHO 1040 but all in
> all things not getting past Alberta and attempts to log Alaska struck out.
> No trace of CJDC on 890 and only a rather strong KVOZ u/phase nulled WLS.
> Many stations from Manitoba and Sask. in very well.

Yep, CBW 990 was huge here, and other "indicator" stations such as CKLQ 880
and CJGX 940 were in fairly well.  I've never logged anything west of Chicago
on either 790 or 890, but I'll be watching those this month as well.

> KNBR 680 good at times, but not so much from KNX 1070 which was only occ
> in.

Though I finally got KNX recently, I think KNBR will be a tougher nut to
crack, thanks to superpest CFTR and a clutter of other eastern stations such
as WRKO.

The real fun for me was not last night, but sunrise this morning.  I wasn't
actually up, unfortunately, but I recorded on 910, which became much more
interesting here after the departure of the stations in Ontario and Quebec a
few years back.

At 0700 (11 minutes before local sunrise), I snagged much-wanted WDOR
Sturgeon Bay WI with a nice clear sign-on announcement.  It gets better!  A
station out of Broadcast News at 0704, then a weather forecast with temps in
Celcius, several mentions of Drumheller and Alberta, then a "Q-9-1
Drumheller" ID, and into C&W.  The callsign was mentioned in passing once
too... CKDQ!!!  Once of my most-wanted stations... the new pennant antenna
proves its worth again!  Five new catches since Friday night, and all of them
to the west of me.  TAs have been in quite well too, but I've been mostly
ignoring them. :-)

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON