Re: [IRCA] Daves' HQ 180

I have several Hammarlund receivers among many boatanchors, (affectionate
term for the big old tube receivers), the 180 is a nice radio, good
selectivity and sensitivity, they suck in the signals like a magnet, I've
gotten many TA's on mine. They are a classic radio and are getting
expensive, but there are usually several on ebay. You could expect to pay
between 250.00 and 500.00 and to me they are well worth it. The SP-600 is
even better, I wouldn't trade my heavy big old tube radios for any modern
radio although if I did it would be the R8. There's nothing like sitting in
front of a rig that has real light bulbs and a 2 1/2" dial knob that has
some weight to it. If for nothing else the sound of them (especially the
SP-600) is worth it alone, the 180 has all the basic stuff you need in a
good receiver. The 180 has 18 tubes, all fairly common.

Bob Young
Millbury, Ma.