Re: [IRCA] R8As, Kenwood R-2000 & 5000. IS KENWOOD R-5000 A GOOD MW DX APPLIANCE!?

Re: [IRCA] R8As, Kenwood R-2000 & 5000. IS KENWOOD R-5000 A GOOD MW DX APPLIANCE!?

Charlie,
   I'd have to respectfully disagree with Patrick on this one.  The
R-5000 is much superior to the R-1000 (or R-2000), and I've used both
the R-5000 and R-8A to successfully hear a lot of good DX out here on
the signal-starved prairie.    The only proviso is that the R-5000 needs
a minor modification for serious MW DX to remove some built-in
attenuation.    I find the R-8A and R-5000 to be pretty much equal, with
the choice coming down to personal preference in the ergonomics.
I bought the R-5000 new back in 1987 and its still my preferred receiver.

73,  Nigel

Nigel Pimblett
Dunmore, Alberta