Re: [IRCA] R8As, Kenwood R-2000 & 5000. IS KENWOOD R-5000 A GOOD MW DX APPLIANCE!?

Re: [IRCA] R8As, Kenwood R-2000 & 5000. IS KENWOOD R-5000 A GOOD MW DX APPLIANCE!?

Nigel,

Glad to hear the R-5000 is a DX  machine. Nigel, I have never used one,
but I had heard they are much better than the R-1000. Depending on the
DXer I am sure, but how does the R-5000 do in the ECSS mode? My R1000 or
the SPR4 really does not have the ECSS mode, per se, they have LSB or
USB. The R8 has an amp in that mode that ups the signal to be equal or
above what you get on AM, so DXing in ECSS (LSB or USB) really shines on
the R8. Does the R-5000 have this? I never use USB or LSB on the R1000
or the SPR4 because of the low level audio, old technology.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR