Re: [Swprograms] OT Linux

With low power strictly required, both electricity and CPU, and the availability of codecs in recent years, Linux makes an excellent choice for running an old machine as a kind of internet radio, podcast collector and so forth.

If you have an older standard PC or laptop, something originally intended to run a Microsoft OS, your first stop should be the download page at Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

This page allows you to download, at no charge, or request by mail also at no charge, the install CD of this distribution. If you are comfortable with a more Mac-like interface the standard Ubuntu edition provides this. If you prefer a more Windows-like interface the alternate Kubuntu may be of interest. Although once installed, the handy-dandy software catalog application will install any application formally supported with a few simple and intuitive clicks. This includes the other operating environment, which ever you choose. Ubuntu's software catalog includes a truly intimidating number of applications which you may install, experiment with, and uninstall with gleeful abandon.

You may boot your system from the installer CD itself, and run the full OS, just to make certain Ubuntu (or Kubuntu or Xubuntu and so forth) will run on your system. Amazing progress has been made in recent years. The installation angst of days gone by is merely an unfortunate memory. Xubuntu is the even lower-power version recommended for 700 Mhz processors and below, but I would recommend it for anything under 1 Ghz. Your mileage may vary.

Many other entirely plausible options can be found at http://distrowatch.com/

Right now, Ubuntu is the big distro with the big support. Merely punch "ubuntu" in your favorite search engine and become overwhelmed with free, online support options.

I use an old "gumdrop" iMac as an internet radio. It runs an old, old Ubuntu for that type of machine. In no way shall I recommend this course of action due to the very modest support options for the old PowerPC type machines. My experience leads me to believe a retried "x86" laptop would be ideal with the addition of room-filling speakers.

However, and this is a big one:

Wi-fi support for all but a precious few chips, cards, etc. (one of which you may have) remains in development. If you are plugging your linux radio into the wall, it's game on!

Incidentally, I simply use bookmarks within Firefox to link to my favorite stations and programs. I keep a separate list of bookmarks to the associated websites, as well. Firefox knows to bring up the appropriate application and codecs, or ask for them. Installation is as simple as permitting the request from the OS to do so from the software catalog.

Linux was once more difficult than the two big operating systems. Now it is merely different, and takes only a few weeks to become fully accustomed to how it works.

stan.baker, austin.tx.us