Re: [Swprograms] BBC World Service North American Stream

Re: [Swprograms] BBC World Service North American Stream

Sandy/Richard:

I've been researching streaming sites since I got the Phoenix wifi
radio.  What you're (we're) left with from a BBCWS streaming
perspective is a "Information and Entertainment" stream, which is in
actuality the Europe stream, and a "BBC News" stream which is one
available only over the internet.  As I understand it, BBC used to
have both WM and Real streams available across the board.  Now the WM
streams are available only to UK listeners, with Real still provided
to international listeners.  I, too, am surprised that the
WM "Americas" (formerly Yahoo) stream has persisted for so long.  They
might have just forgotten it was there, if that's possible.

The WS web site does provide a schedule for both "supported"
streams.  "Sportsworld" isn't on either stream, unfortunately.  Rights
fees issues prevent that.  This also affects almost all of the live
event coverage on BBC Five Live.  An occasional rugby match manages to
stay in the clear.  The schedule for live sports is posted on the Five
Live web site.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY