Re: [Swprograms] DirecTV to offer BPL Internet services, beginning in DFW

Re: [Swprograms] DirecTV to offer BPL Internet services, beginning in DFW

Just some idle observations from a skeptic:

There's a lot of money being made available by local and state
governments to just about anyone who puts together an even half-as*ed
proposal that *promises* to provide broadband to the masses.  (This
despite the fact that upwards of 90% of the masses have it available
to them in one or more forms already.)  This has served to bring
*investment* money into the picture which further encourages doomed
ventures like these.  On top of that, we have power companies
claiming to clueless regulators that they *need* BPL so they can
implement remote metering (failing to mention that technologies
already in place can accomplish this at far lower expense).  Then we
have another aspect of the regulatory community that never met a
potential competitor it didn't like.  (i.e.:  Got to be seen doing
everything they can to promote competition... Not supporting even
bogus proposals may look to the ideologues like unfriendliness to the
marketplace.)

Too bad the technology has proven to be an out and out failure in
every place it's been tried thus far; not to mention all the business
plans.

What's that Murphy's Law corrolary?  Ah yes!  "Every man has a plan
that will not work."

Oh... and didn't Ben Franklin say, "A fool and his money are soon
parted."  (Trouble is, a lot of that money is yours and mine.)

John Figliozzi