From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Cuff
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:30 AM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] Is WRN Now Also Gone from Sirius?

Since Sirius sunk so much of their $$ behind Howard Stern, it would
seem they now need to emphasize whatever programming that keeps that
demographic profile as subscribers when they get bored with Mr.
Stern..

That is likely a white male, young demographic...probably the
antithesis of a WRN / NPR / PRI / BBC listener.  Thus, sports
increasingly dominate the medium.

Meanwhile, over on the domestic AM / FM chat boards, the trend is for
less live sports on regular radio, more sports talk.  Not sure which
trend causes the other, but those interested in live sports are
increasingly motivated to consider satellite radio.

I will admit that, over the past six months, I have listened to
satellite radio less, not more.  I have a sufficient inventory of
podcasts and captured webcasts to stock my MP3 player, and enough
music of my own personal tastes to stock my CD player.  As a result,
the satellite radio is reserved for BBC and CBC news fixes and silly
Buffalo Bills NFL games.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA

On 2/14/07, John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.  Every time a new medium comes
> on the scene, there is much hope about attention to interests that
> usually are ignored by more established media.  But there is always
> disappointment in the end as the new kids on the block inevitably (it
> seems) start to chase the lowest common denominator.
>
> For my part, I can't resist the urge to blame the fact that these new
> services always seem to turn to the same old tired warhorses that
> know the old media oh so well, but haven't a clue about how to
> reposition a new medium.
shown above.