Re: [Swprograms] Will NPR replace the VOA as America'sEnglish-languagevoice?

Do you believe NPR representative of our national policies?

-----Original Message-----
From: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Hawkins
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:23 PM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] Will NPR replace the VOA as
America'sEnglish-languagevoice?

NPR is intended as a domestic programme for the USA and so is not ideal for
an international audience. However as the VOA appears to have all but given
up any attempt at attractive English language programming NPR will
increasingly be "the voice of America" for English language listeners.

In Europe NPR is available on Worldspace and one popular satellite system.
The only obvious weakness is that NPR isn't on the UK Sky satellite
platform. This limits the UK audience. Presence on Sky would cost $60k -
$100k per year and would not generate any income which is probably why it's
not been done.

Personally I enjoy "On The Media" on NPR and occasionally listen to other
programmes.

I know other NPR listeners in London.

Mark Hawkins

London, England.