Re: [Swprograms] Listening To Internet

Tough to say when these citywide WiFi / WiMAX initiatives will be
fully rolled out.  ISPs are none too thrilled about these
developments, because -- even if they provide the installation
infrastructure to cities -- it's still a lot less $$ in their pocket.

Depending on how close your neighbor is, your idea of sharing a
broadband connection could work.  You'd want to go with an 802.11g
compatible system using WEP-level security.

You'd probably want a laptop equipped with an 802.11g card as your
base computing equipment; most midrange (or higher) laptops are
suitably equipped.  Dell is currently offering an Inspiron 1200
notebook PC for $499 that would be entirely suitable (as far as I can
tell) for a computer not involved in interactive gaming.  Alas, you're
talking a few hours' battery life at best, especially if your WiFi
radio is active.  So you're stuck with another wire.

Someday...perhaps 2-4 years...there will be "Internet appliances"
designed specifically for audio/video that would be the size of a PDA,
but they don't exist yet.   If Lee Reynolds is lurking these days,
perhaps he has been looking for some gizmo that would be appropriate.
I don't know of any myself.

Sound quality from a notebook is not great; that's due to the compact
size.  You can add external speakers (more wires...) at a variety of
prices.

A higher-end notebook might be Bluetooth-equipped; that wireless
protocol would be appropriate for remote headphones or speakers.  I
know that the Dell notebook for $499 does not come with Bluetooth
capability built in.

I like your idea of sending a note off to "Go Digital" with your questions.

There's only one unfortunate problem with your wish for broadcasters
to "just  broadcast so we can just receive".  Most folks under 30
don't "just receive", and they're eyed as the future market of
interest.  Yes, I know that Ricky Leong and others here would take
strong exception to that sweeping statement, but overall, alas, that's
the trend.

With Windows XP or Macintosh operating systems, they're a lot more
reliable than Windows 3.1 / 95 / 98 were.

Now, here's another off-the-wall idea for you.  Pick up a used Desktop
PC -- a Pentium II / 350 mHz machine would be good enough.  You could
probably get one for $100 - $150.  You might need to add a sound card
($25), and you would certainly need to add a WiFi card ($39).  I have
a setup like this that is dedicated to PC audio -- I was able to get
the PC for nothing from my employer that was throwing them out.  It
came with Windows 98 loaded on already.

Add a wireless FM transmitter in the speaker jack, and presto, you
have a portable Internet radio.  You can't tune it portably, but it's
a possibility.

Richard Cuff