Re: [Swprograms] Listening To Internet

Good comments!

As someone a few years your junior, Will, I generally *am* doing
something else while listening -- either washing dishes, doing e-mail,
paying bills, writing a grocery list, or driving.  I confess that I
don't follow John Figliozzi's sage advice of listening in a quiet,
distraction-free environment.

I listen 3 different ways.

1.  I have a little $30 wireless FM transmitter that I plug into the
speaker jack on my laptop; I then listen to an FM radio in the kitchen
or on my Walkman.  Works if I am doing something around the house.

2.  If I am at my desk, I simply listen on the PC's speakers.

3.  Most of the time I plug in a cassette recorder and patch cord to
the speaker jack on the laptop, and save the audio onto cassette.  I
then listen to the cassette in the car while I'm driving, or in a
Walkman on those rare days when I exercize.

Notice that "podcast" doesn't appear on this list...although that's a
variation of #3, except you are directly downloading a digital file to
a portable player.

Why didn't Kerbango succeed at the time?  Two guesses:  1) It was too
expensive for the value delivered; 2) the user interface didn't work
well.  As you know there isn't a "frequency display" for a webcast.

Nowadays, with WiFI-based home Internet networks, along with these
citywide WiFi initiatives like in Philadelphia, this makes the
portability issue largely vaporize.  You move the computer -- or
whatever Internet access device you imagine -- to where you are.

Hope this helps...

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA